+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C - How Long

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Here we go:
1. statistics of the all admissions rates in 2017

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/annual-report-2017.pdf

From which all H&C accepted immigrants were 3913 people (attention those are not approved application as you can have more than 1 person on one application).
That also includes H&C cases where people did not meet their RO requirement, H&C for spouses and children or parents.

Now here is the part of the statistics about appeals.

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/ImmApp/stats/Pages/index.aspx

What Is a bit problematic, is to distinguish between H&C cases and others.

From this one it is visible, that the highest success rates have sponsorships appeals. (app. 40%)

Removal orders (including refugee removal orders) have app. 20% success rate. bear in mind that they do also include removal order for those that did not meet RO criteria.
This data also contains mix of standard appeal and H&C appeals (which are usually last resort).

So the reality of H&C approvals for refugees lies somewhere between 10 and 20%.

In some cases people will reconsider and withdraw their appeal and in others they will just abandon it. (many of which are appeals without much chance for success).
So, the measurement here appears to be what % of people landed were out of the H&C bucket compared to all other landings? That doesn't tell us the approval rate at stage 1 or 2 though. There is no H&C application appeal process but there are H&C considerations within Appeals so this adds confusion.

If you find any place that tells you approval rates at stage 1 (and 2 if you can find them) then I'd be confident that you may be right. As it is, I don't think so. No malice here, but I do believe that they are very likely approved at a higher rate than your stitching together of the landing number breakdown.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfort
So, the measurement here appears to be what % of people landed were out of the H&C bucket compared to all other landings? That doesn't tell us the approval rate at stage 1 or 2 though. There is no H&C application appeal process but there are H&C considerations within Appeals so this adds confusion.

If you find any place that tells you approval rates at stage 1 (and 2 if you can find them) then I'd be confident that you may be right. As it is, I don't think so. No malice here, but I do believe that they are very likely approved at a higher rate than your stitching together of the landing number breakdown.
unfortunately the statistics that was provided does contain H&C reasons.
Almost all sponsorship appeals and practically all RO appeals are for H&C reasons, also good deal of removal orders do contain this part. And the statistic there is clear.

What is of course missing, are the amount of PR applications using H&C as the reason for the application itself. In that case there is no clear statistics publicly released apart the amount of accepted immigrants in the H&C section (which is a result of such approved applications).

Furthermore, when checking the federal court decisions
https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/en/d/s/index.do?cont=compassionate&ref=&d1=2017-01-01&d2=2017-12-31&p=&col=54

You can read the frequency in which judicial review is approved on H&C base. And it does not look that great (in 2017 - 238 cases included H&C appeals and from which 190 contained the word dismissed - too bad that one is not able to sort them according to the court decision in some more logical way).

One more part of the puzzle (indication of the statistics of H&C approvals for those that were not meeting RO - which was less than 10% in 2014:
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2017/01/18/about-1400-immigrants-a-year-ordered-removed-from-canada-for-residency-non-compliance.html

There might be more statistics there, but it is a bit more hidden and request for digging.

Sure you will find lot of positive statement from lawyer companies about 50% or 70% acceptance rate, but without any statistics as well.