+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C - How Long

Arhs

Sep 9, 2017
Hi,

I've been in Canada for 4 and a half years with student visa. My last permit and visa expired on July-31-2017.

I applied for Humanitarian and Compassionate:

Sent the document on June-30th-2016. After 3 months (octuber-2016) I could see a status: "We received your application for permanent residence on July 4, 2016."

On march this year I could see the status: We started processing your application on February 14, 2017.

Of course, my Status expire and I Applied for a Visitor extention on June-30-2017.

So Right now I don't have any status and waiting for both applications.

If somebody has any suggestion, I will appreciate

Thanks.

mingota19

Aug 16, 2017
Make sure u have a exceptional reason to apply on this category.i did this application in 2001 .my case took almost oner year.i got my PR in 2002.of course by now i am a citizen though not residing at the moment in Canada. In my case my son was born premature and he required at that time lots of medical follow ups.they took that into consideration.good luck for u.

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
Make sure u have a exceptional reason to apply on this category.i did this application in 2001 .my case took almost oner year.i got my PR in 2002.of course by now i am a citizen though not residing at the moment in Canada. In my case my son was born premature and he required at that time lots of medical follow ups.they took that into consideration.good luck for u.
My daughter was also born premature but she’s now almost 3 years old. Will they taje that into consideration as well? Thanks

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
My daughter was also born premature but she’s now almost 3 years old. Will they taje that into consideration as well? Thanks

no like I said h&c approval rates are low kid or no kid still low you need a good story for the to approve

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
no like I said h&c approval rates are low kid or no kid still low you need a good story for the to approve
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my every post. Looks like you know everything. Do you work in the immigration? Best regards.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my every post. Looks like you know everything. Do you work in the immigration? Best regards.

no i do not work for immigration, it's common sense that h&c approval are low but the story has to be real reason when they approve but it's very rare

Last edited:

D_8rane

Star Member
Apr 12, 2018
no i do not work for immigration, it's common sense that h&c approval are low but the story has to be real reason when they approve but it's very rare
But i see a lot of h&c posts that were approved. Kudos to them for not giving up inspite of too many discouragements from people who doesnt even know or understand what they’ve been through. Of course, everything has to be real. Im happy every time I see and read stories of success. It helps me and others to keep going. We’ve never applied for h&c before that’s why were trying to ask for any answers or help. Rejected or accepted, at least we tried our best. Its not the end of the world.

Reactions: Alien_walkingalone

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
But i see a lot of h&c posts that were approved. Kudos to them for not giving up inspite of too many discouragements from people who doesnt even know or understand what they’ve been through. Of course, everything has to be real. Im happy every time I see and read stories of success. It helps me and others to keep going. We’ve never applied for h&c before that’s why were trying to ask for any answers or help. Rejected or accepted, at least we tried our best. Its not the end of the world.

i understand but some of these judges sometimes are bias or hado a bad day it's hard to find a fair judge

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saying that H&C has low approval rate is not to discourage somebody, but it is to tell the facts (as shown in the statistics).
H&C is not just approved or rejected by one person. Hence you cannot really say that somebody had just a bad day. It is more like because your evidence was not consistent and other options were still visible.

It is also better to say that you shall prepare your H&C case carefully, rather than doing it half way and then being rejected.
And of course H&C is not a substitutions for any problem (eg. if I did not get the parents lottery I will apply for H&C...)

Reactions: carolbb23

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Saying that H&C has low approval rate is not to discourage somebody, but it is to tell the facts (as shown in the statistics).
H&C is not just approved or rejected by one person. Hence you cannot really say that somebody had just a bad day. It is more like because your evidence was not consistent and other options were still visible.

It is also better to say that you shall prepare your H&C case carefully, rather than doing it half way and then being rejected.
And of course H&C is not a substitutions for any problem (eg. if I did not get the parents lottery I will apply for H&C...)

thank you for clearing that up.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Hello, I would be interested in seeing whatever source you have for H&C statistics, please.

When I was familiar with H&C approval rates there was considerable information that had to be considered - was risk cited (can have different level of decision-maker - PRRA Officer vs H&C Officer), country of origin, basis of the application (BIOC, medical, blah, blah) and you have to figure in that they count every individual statistic instead of case files so a family of 7 refused and a single person approved skews the numbers when trying to evaluate approval rates and Officer productivity. Policy applications, Countries where there are removal bans - these are as broad a case=type as they have with loads of officer discretion.

Common sense is the rarest of all the senses and when statistics are involved, we should see them. When citing risk inside of an H&C the stat's were pretty high.., when I last looked some 6 or 7 years ago. H&C is exactly designed as a substitute for not qualifying in another manner - that's why it exists.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here we go:
1. statistics of the all admissions rates in 2017

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/annual-report-2017.pdf

From which all H&C accepted immigrants were 3913 people (attention those are not approved application as you can have more than 1 person on one application).
That also includes H&C cases where people did not meet their RO requirement, H&C for spouses and children or parents.

Now here is the part of the statistics about appeals.

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/ImmApp/stats/Pages/index.aspx

What Is a bit problematic, is to distinguish between H&C cases and others.

From this one it is visible, that the highest success rates have sponsorships appeals. (app. 40%)

Removal orders (including refugee removal orders) have app. 20% success rate. bear in mind that they do also include removal order for those that did not meet RO criteria.
This data also contains mix of standard appeal and H&C appeals (which are usually last resort).

So the reality of H&C approvals for refugees lies somewhere between 10 and 20%.

In some cases people will reconsider and withdraw their appeal and in others they will just abandon it. (many of which are appeals without much chance for success).