+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Application First Stage Approval - Whats next ?

meteora

Aug 15, 2016
Dear all,

Hope you are safe and healthy. My mother got the letter for her first stage approval under H&C. Her visit visa ran out long time ago. Our lawyer is saying we need to apply for Temporary Resident Permit and Work Permit. What is the difference? Can we just apply for the Work Permit only? the letter from CIC states:

"If you wish to work or study in Canada while awaiting finalization of your application, you must request and receive an employment or student authorization."

By reading above, it seems like we can apply for either , it doesn't have to be both. please advise. Our lawyer is charging us a fee of 1K for TRP and 500$ for Work Permit. If we can just apply for the work permit, then i would end up saving 1K.

Thanks Much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

Hope you are safe and healthy. My mother got the letter for her first stage approval under H&C. Her visit visa ran out long time ago. Our lawyer is saying we need to apply for Temporary Resident Permit and Work Permit. What is the difference? Can we just apply for the Work Permit only? the letter from CIC states:

"If you wish to work or study in Canada while awaiting finalization of your application, you must request and receive an employment or student authorization."

By reading above, it seems like we can apply for either , it doesn't have to be both. please advise. Our lawyer is charging us a fee of 1K for TRP and 500$ for Work Permit. If we can just apply for the work permit, then i would end up saving 1K.

Thanks Much.
Does she want to work? You can fill out the application yourself.

meteora

Aug 15, 2016
She is not planning to travel anywhere at all. Can she get the Health Card after first stage approval ? Below are the exact words of my lawyer:

"Please also be advised that we should now also apply to have your mother in status by applying for a Temporary Resident Permit and Work Permit to overcome her inadmissibility of becoming out of status due to not extending her visit visa application"

i mean like you mentioned, what benefit would it give us if we apply either, She wont be removed from the country anyways as she has been approved for H&C.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She doesnt and wont but that way she can get her SIN and so can open the bank account and such. Do i still need TRP ? I dont even know what that is
She doesnt and wont but that way she can get her SIN and so can open the bank account and such. Do i still need TRP ? I dont even know what that is
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5554-applying-remain-canada-temporary-resident-permit-holder.html

Whether she qualifies for a health card depends on the province. Up to you if you want to apply for TRP. You can fill out the application yourself.

it looks like you only arrived in Canada as a PR a few years ago. Many consider applying for H&C for their parents. Would be great if you gave an general idea what circumstances gave your mother enough H&C reasons to be approved. It is a tough thing to get and shouldn’t be considered lightly since many are denied which then leads to problems ever visiting Canada.

Frcss

Feb 6, 2021
Hi . I would like to get some help from you guys
1- we received your application for PR on December 27 , 2019
2- we sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application on January 3, 2020
3- we started processing your application on December 9 , 2020

Questions :
1 - what would be the next step ?
2- how long does it take to get the first stage approval ?
3- what about the medical exam?

Thanks you guys I'll be waiting for some advices

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi . I would like to get some help from you guys
1- we received your application for PR on December 27 , 2019
2- we sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application on January 3, 2020
3- we started processing your application on December 9 , 2020

Questions :
1 - what would be the next step ?
2- how long does it take to get the first stage approval ?
3- what about the medical exam?

Thanks you guys I'll be waiting for some advices
Impossible to say when you'll hear if you got first stage approval 2-2.5 was typical but things have been moving faster recently. They have started looking at your file in December 2020. Medical can be asked for before or after 1st stage. Every case is different so no standard processing.

Reactions: Frcss

Frcss

Feb 6, 2021
Impossible to say when you'll hear if you got first stage approval 2-2.5 was typical but things have been moving faster recently. They have started looking at your file in December 2020. Medical can be asked for before or after 1st stage. Every case is different so no standard processing.

Last edited: