+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guide to importing car from Detroit to Windsor

ankusaxe9

Jan 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Another Question kind of related to this topic. Does any one here have any experience with Self Storage in Canada? My plan is pack up everything in the US and land in Canada via Lewiston-Queenston bridge (Greater Toronto/Niagara/St. Catherine area), and after a couple of weeks, travel to home country for around 2 months. I will need to store my stuff (1.5-2 bedroom worth of furniture) and park my car at a reliable and safe place. Anyone has any suggestions on the cheapest way to store stuff and park car?
Hi RoseDB,

I am in similar situation and want to know how you managed all this. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Checking if anybody has done successfully the modifications to meet Canadian standard, wondering if there is possibility to estimate cost of total modifications needed.

ankusaxe9

Jan 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Its a confusing way to reach cbp for the first timers. Do not go till Ammex shop. You need to take the way before that where there will be a small board. If the gate is closed then wait in the car and someone will come - dont get out. Then you go further and can see parking lot and you can see the cbp office where you can enquire more. Here is the coordinates in the map where you need to take left before ammex. Hope this helps.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/42°19'11.8"N+83°04'49.3"W/@42.31995,-83.0809065,230m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d42.319949!4d-83.0803578
Hi Hariraj,

Just trying to understand the route based on your coordinates provided in the post. From I-96, take exit 192B. Be in extreme right lane and it will lead to the coordinates (3061 Howard st). It comes at 50th second on the below youtube video. Can you please confirm?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Hariraj,

Just trying to understand the route based on your coordinates provided in the post. From I-96, take exit 192B. Be in extreme right lane and it will lead to the coordinates (3061 Howard st). It comes at 50th second on the below youtube video. Can you please confirm?

Not in the extreme right. You should be in the extreme left. In this video at 0.50 you can see one car coming outside (actually its standing there) in the left is the entry where you need to go to cbp office. Next to that left car you can see on blue-white board which is the sign for cbp office.

The second car from left which is ahead of you is the one going towards the bridge(and amex store). Do not follow the second car if you want to go to cbp. Just be in the left most lane and take left before that sign board(next to first car).

adigautam

Jan 3, 2016
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-12-2015
Doc's Request.
28-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-05-2017
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
IELTS Request
Awaiting
File Transfer...
Awaiting
Med's Request
Awaiting
Med's Done....
Awaiting
Interview........
Awaiting
Passport Req..
Awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Hi All,

I exported my car from Ambassador Bridge last night, but to my surprise, I was asked to pay the Air Conditioning tax at the Canada border by the CBSA. I tried to tell them as a new PR, I do not need to pay any duty and/or tax but they said everyone needs to pay the air conditioning tax.

Did anyone else pay the air conditioning tax as a new PR for their car import?

Regards,
Aditya

georgepop81

Jul 14, 2018
Hello everyone,
I need help with the following situation my family is struggling to solve.
I have recently moved from Chicago USA to Toronto Canada. Before I moved to Canada I purchased a vehicle from a dealership, paid in full. However, at the time I crossed the border into Canada with the car, the title for my car had not arrived yet, hence, I didn't do any fillings prior to this, nor did I give any notice to the US Customs.
At this time I do not have a visa to renter USA, how do I export my vehicle. What are my options?
Thank you in advance.

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Hello everyone,
I need help with the following situation my family is struggling to solve.
I have recently moved from Chicago USA to Toronto Canada. Before I moved to Canada I purchased a vehicle from a dealership, paid in full. However, at the time I crossed the border into Canada with the car, the title for my car had not arrived yet, hence, I didn't do any fillings prior to this, nor did I give any notice to the US Customs.
At this time I do not have a visa to renter USA, how do I export my vehicle. What are my options?
Thank you in advance.
Do you have the title now with you ?
Since you haven't imported into Canada/(exported from US), try speaking with Dealer OR broker to see if they would buy it (Highly doubt it) OR can help with proper paper work.

Since you have already moved/settled in Canada, how are you going to be able to claim under GTF if not already mentioned ?

georgepop81

Jul 14, 2018
Do you have the title now with you ?
Since you haven't imported into Canada/(exported from US), try speaking with Dealer OR broker to see if they would buy it (Highly doubt it) OR can help with proper paper work.

Since you have already moved/settled in Canada, how are you going to be able to claim under GTF if not already mentioned ?
I have the title in hand now. What is GTF?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm planning to travel to Toronto in June 2020. Also export/import my car as well. I see couple of you travelled from Chicago to Detroit.
1. After the export formalities I should be crossing the border to Canada through the Ambassador bridge? I'm moving on COPR, they do process that as well the import of the car right?
2. How was the drive from Chicago to Detroit?
3. If my crossing is on a Monday, should I send the ITN and scanned title to the US customs port on Friday or even before that? Are weekends considered for the 72 hrs?
4. This is out of topic, but it will be great if someone could help me find a temporary accommodation in Brampton or Mississauga for a month or two.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone. I'm planning to travel to Toronto in June 2020. Also export/import my car as well. I see couple of you travelled from Chicago to Detroit.
1. After the export formalities I should be crossing the border to Canada through the Ambassador bridge? I'm moving on COPR, they do process that as well the import of the car right?
2. How was the drive from Chicago to Detroit?
3. If my crossing is on a Monday, should I send the ITN and scanned title to the US customs port on Friday or even before that? Are weekends considered for the 72 hrs?
4. This is out of topic, but it will be great if someone could help me find a temporary accommodation in Brampton or Mississauga for a month or two.

Thank you in advance.
This post on the other thread might be of interest to you:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/detailed-soft-landing-by-road-via-windsor-tunnel-frustrating-experience.628096/page-3

Reactions: Snehathomas

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi, a quick question. What did you do for your car insurance? Does your US Car insurance cancel once you export the car at the border? Progressive has coverage in Canada but as I'm moving from US, I don't know if they will cover until I find another insurance there. Please reply. Thank you

Itsmsk66

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Guys,

Any one from US, applied for extension and was granted extension. Can you please explain process after the Web form submission.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi, a quick question. What did you do for your car insurance? Does your US Car insurance cancel once you export the car at the border? Progressive has coverage in Canada but as I'm moving from US, I don't know if they will cover until I find another insurance there. Please reply. Thank you
Most cover Canada for visiting and short days. They dont cover for long period after moving. So of course you do have short period(even though there is no specific period till you change you plate technically). So you do get enough time.
No one knows what your policy covers and what progressive covers this year. SO call them and know if insurance covers for visiting Canada(dont confuse with permanent move as not all agents are trained to answers specific rare situations).

We all moved like this. So it should cover but call them and you would have enough time to get new on in Canada.