+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Group of 5 question

issac22

May 31, 2020
Hello just had a quick question of anyone can please help me out it would be much appreciated! A friend of mine asked to co sign for his group of 5 but I am about to apply for a spousal sponsorship, would being a cosigner havd an effect on me applying for spouse sponsorship? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello just had a quick question of anyone can please help me out it would be much appreciated! A friend of mine asked to co sign for his group of 5 but I am about to apply for a spousal sponsorship, would being a cosigner havd an effect on me applying for spouse sponsorship? Thanks.
No but you will need to show that you have the extra funds to support a refugee. I hope you also researched your financial and time committment when you signed for a group of 5.

issac22

May 31, 2020
Yes I have done some research but he has told me I just need to sign papers and provide him with some papers and he will cover the rest (financial, etc).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I have done some research but he has told me I just need to sign papers and provide him with some papers and he will cover the rest (financial, etc).
Then there is something sketchy going on with the group of 5 application. Would personally step away if I knew that this is not a proper group of 5 sponsorship. You have signed to be a financial aNd social support for a person or family for 1 year. If you want and can be involved that is great but if you are asked to sign papers out of the blue that isn’t correct.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If other members of the sponsorship specially the first 3 members can cover the refugee finance you don't have any problem. I just submitted my aunt's sponsorship application and all members are not responsible financially, because I have money in trust fund bank account for her to use the first 12 months in Canada.
There are both time and financial responsibilities. Signing up to be part of a group of 5 is not something you just sign without information about who is being sponsored. You are signing up to be an active part of supporting a refugee for 1 year.

Farta

May 30, 2020
There are both time and financial responsibilities. Signing up to be part of a group of 5 is not something you just sign without information about who is being sponsored. You are signing up to be an active part of supporting a refugee for 1 year.
The person already did his research, so I was talking about the financial part and the options that the government gives the sponsoring memebers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The person already did his research, so I was talking about the financial part and the options that the government gives the sponsoring memebers.
Joining a group of 5 is a large commitment. It should not be considered lightly. Having someone just say sign some papers is not very comforting. Unfortunately there are people who have the sponsored person/family pay back any money or refugees who get abandoned both financially and when it comes to social support once they arrive in Canada. The group of 5 was created so that responsibility is spread out between 5 people/groups. Things happens,jobs get lost, people get sick someone who may have planned to put up all the money may not be able to do so. There were many Syrian refugees who arrived to find that sponsors had had a change in circumstances and were no longer able to pay for their housing, food, etc. It is unclear what or if there were repercussions for these groups. In other cases families are not really in a financial position to sponsor their family but apply and are rejected because it is clear that it is not feasible given their own savings, expenses and income. If joining a group of 5 you should also be prepared and want to take on responsibility when it comes to the refugees resettlement in Canada. You are signing documents committing to do so.

Farta

May 30, 2020
Joining a group of 5 is a large commitment. It should not be considered lightly. Having someone just say sign some papers is not very comforting. Unfortunately there are people who have the sponsored person/family pay back any money or refugees who get abandoned both financially and when it comes to social support once they arrive in Canada. The group of 5 was created so that responsibility is spread out between 5 people/groups. Things happens,jobs get lost, people get sick someone who may have planned to put up all the money may not be able to do so. There were many Syrian refugees who arrived to find that sponsors had had a change in circumstances and were no longer able to pay for their housing, food, etc. It is unclear what or if there were repercussions for these groups. In other cases families are not really in a financial position to sponsor their family but apply and are rejected because it is clear that it is not feasible given their own savings, expenses and income. If joining a group of 5 you should also be prepared and want to take on responsibility when it comes to the refugees resettlement in Canada. You are signing documents committing to do so.
At the end everyone do what they feel is right it's his/her decision to sign or not. People don't come here to learn responsibilities they come to ask questions. I took private refugee sponsorship training program, so i know all the responsibilities that comes sponsoring a refugee.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Anyone who like to know more about private refugee sponsorship there are training programs that the government has info http://www.rstp.ca/en/contact-us/
At the end everyone do what they feel is right it's his/her decision to sign or not. People don't come here to learn responsibilities they come to ask questions. I took private refugee sponsorship training program, so i know all the responsibilities that comes sponsoring a refugee.
It doesn’t sound like OP is very aware of their responsibilities as a group of 5 based on their own description of the situation. Would also encourage them to take this course before signing any documents.

Reactions: Farta

Mahadi24

Mar 30, 2019
My application is G5 and i did medical and interview before march 2020 and i email for my visa office whether if my application is already approved and they respond this to me and they make me more confused what that mean that

(that the approval of the sponsorship on your behalf does not in any way guarantee your acceptance for permanent residence in Canada. All applicants must meet the eligibility and admissibility criteria for immigration to Canada.)
can anyone expline it for me
Thank you

Dear Applicant,

Your application is at the final stage of processing.

You should be aware that your application for immigration to Canada as a Convention Refugee in the Privately Sponsored Refugee category is a lengthy process, and that the approval of the sponsorship on your behalf does not in any way guarantee your acceptance for permanent residence in Canada. All applicants must meet the eligibility and admissibility criteria for immigration to Canada.

We will advise you of any other requirements, but we are NOT able to respond to requests for information on the routine progress of your application.

We hope this information will be of assistance

Last edited: