+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Granted Canadian Citizenship---despite leaving Canada after applying

jpadz

Star Member
Oct 19, 2008
Hi everyone,

Despite the fact that there were already a few threads (and opinions) pertaining to leaving Canada or moving to the US after applying for Canadian citizenship, I have not read a post from somebody being granted (or denied) Canadian citizenship because of such fact. Of course, I am referring to those who were genuinely eligible to apply for citizenship.

So if you were in a similar situation, I would appreciate it if you can share your experience here.

Thank you very much.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
I am not sure mine helps. I moved to Canada from USA to live here permanently after living in USA for 10 years but I retained my job in USA (till now) and had to take several trips. But I met the eligibility of 1095 days in 4 years. I got an RQ prior to exam but I passed the exam 20/20. After I moved here I bought home, started business , legally paid and filed taxes and family here who never traveled to USA. During interview my wife got the letter for Oath and now canadian citizen and I got a RQ. I am very hopeful that my case will go through in 6 months to a year but I cannot wait for 48months.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I actually have a friend. He applied for citizenship and left... but he came back for the test. He got his citizenship without any issues. The most important thing to do is to have some one check your mail box and then contact you once a letter from CIC is received. Forwarding your mails would not be a good idea. You should be ready to travel back to Canada on short notice.

jpadz

Star Member
Oct 19, 2008
*Cadvis---Thank you for sharing your experience, I appreciate it.

*Alabaman---Thank you for sharing. So, did your friend move to the US or move back to his home country after applying? Thank you.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jpadz said:
*Cadvis---Thank you for sharing your experience, I appreciate it.

*Alabaman---Thank you for sharing. So, did your friend move to the US or move back to his home country after applying? Thank you.

My friend moved to his home country in Africa a couple of months after submitting his citizenship application. In fact, he forgot to update his address with CIC since he was no longer living in his apt. This caused some minor delays initially just because he wasn't getting his mails so he wasn't aware they were trying to reach him. He later updated his address online to his friend's address in Canada.

As soon as he got the invitation for the citizenship test, his friend called him and he flew back to Canada. Shortly after that, he took his Oath, applied for his passport and then went back to Africa.

He has since returned to Canada though... but his citizenship application was processed while he was away.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pelican-Blue said:
Should you fill tax forms while away waiting for the test/oath ?
You can not just move away and stop filing taxes. If you want to stop filing taxes, you need to inform CRA that you have left Canada and ask them to consider you non-resident for tax purposes.

However, it is probably safer to continue filing as you wait. If you were to fail the exam and were at the mercy of a citizenship judge making the decision if you should get citizenship or not, they will look at you having left Canada as a negative. You can try to convince them that you have only left temporarily but if they were to find out that you have stopped filing taxes, you would have a hard time selling that story.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
Leon said:
You can not just move away and stop filing taxes. If you want to stop filing taxes, you need to inform CRA that you have left Canada and ask them to consider you non-resident for tax purposes.

However, it is probably safer to continue filing as you wait. If you were to fail the exam and were at the mercy of a citizenship judge making the decision if you should get citizenship or not, they will look at you having left Canada as a negative. You can try to convince them that you have only left temporarily but if they were to find out that you have stopped filing taxes, you would have a hard time selling that story.
well my question is if the person is moving to USA is it worth paying taxes in both countries? I paid both US and Canada taxes last 5 years. I got an RQ. Paying taxes does not have any value in Canada except for CRA, as they need your money. In countries like USA, tax document is part of any immigration documentation. If you or your sponsor did not pay and file taxes, your application is incomplete. Filling taxes establishes the ties to that country.

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
you shouldnt be paying taxes in both countries - if you are considered a resident in Canada even though your job is technically in the US, you will be given certain credits for the taxes paid to US government and vice versa. Canada and US have a treaty which allows you to do that. you are deemed to be a resident in Canada if you are here for more than 183 days in a year. if not then they won't deem you a resident and you shouldn't be filing a tax return

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rita.p said:
you shouldnt be paying taxes in both countries - if you are considered a resident in Canada even though your job is technically in the US, you will be given certain credits for the taxes paid to US government and vice versa. Canada and US have a treaty which allows you to do that. you are deemed to be a resident in Canada if you are here for more than 183 days in a year. if not then they won't deem you a resident and you shouldn't be filing a tax return
If you are a US citizen you need to file taxes in the US regardless of whether you live there or not. The US is one of the few countries which requires this. While there are certain credits for foreign taxes paid, depending on your income and whether you are self-employed or not, taxes are often due in both jurisdictions.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
rita.p said:
yes it is true but Canada taxes are high .. so I have to pay the difference to Canada..