Star Member
Aug 19, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
I passed 4 years of Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication from Karnatak University (KU) in 1995. Now KU is no more associated with BE degree program and all Engineering colleges has been shifted to other university i,e VTU Bangalore.

Now, I have applied for admission to enroll in Master's of Engineering in Canada but the university is asking for grading scale from KU and minimum requirement for the program is grade "B".

How do I prove that I am qualified for ME program as my score is 64% (First Class) and is above or is "B"?

KU does not have any grading scale conversion for BE in their website.

please help.

Anyone from India or Karnatak University??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can estimate your percentage to a letter at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(education) but it's totally different between universities what the averages are. In some universities it's very easy to get high grades and in some it's not. If you contact your university and ask them what the average grade is for the program your completed, that you graduated in the top X %, that might give you a better idea of where you stand to tell the Canadian university.

juanda78

Star Member
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
Hi,

You never mentioned what Canadian University you want to attend, but comparing to the chart used by my university (by the Faculty of Engineering), it must be very similar. 64% is a C with a GPA of 2.0, very low indeed for a Post Graduate Program admission. Try to look for a similar chart in your university. Passing grades for Graduate Programs are obviously more demanding than undergraduate degrees (where a C is usually a passing grade).
http://engineering.dal.ca/UNDERGRADUATE%20PROGRAMS%20DIPENG,%20BENG%20and%20BASc/General%20Information/Grade_Conversion.php

Regards.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
juanda78 said:
Hi,

You never mentioned what Canadian University you want to attend, but comparing to the chart used by my university (by the Faculty of Engineering), it must be very similar. 64% is a C with a GPA of 2.0, very low indeed for a Post Graduate Program admission. Try to look for a similar chart in your university. Passing grades for Graduate Programs are obviously more demanding than undergraduate degrees (where a C is usually a passing grade).
http://engineering.dal.ca/UNDERGRADUATE%20PROGRAMS%20DIPENG,%20BENG%20and%20BASc/General%20Information/Grade_Conversion.php

Regards.
I think the above conversion is at Dalhousie but not for converting from another university (especially international) to Dalhousie's standard of grading. I know people who got averages in the 60% from South African universities who ended up going to Berkeley and Ivy Leagues for PhD.

tomst

Star Member
Aug 19, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
In Karnatak University, for BE program in 1995, First Division or 60% was very difficult to get so it was considered excellent result. In my batch of 100 students only 8 got first division (60% or above) and I was in 4th or 5th position.

As per wikipedia, India, 64% is "A-" Shall I send this score to Univeristy of Ottawa? Will they accept this score?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
You'd have to speak to someone from KU on what they did or ask Dalhousie on how to convert after you give them all the information about grade ranges, etc.

tomst

Star Member
Aug 19, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
Sent applications, relevant document and fees to Karnatak university....
Hope they process my document as soon as they get them.