+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got the visa.

shiyam198

Nov 10, 2010
Hi,

I sponsored my parents and my sister in Sri Lanka. They have gotten the visas a week ago. They have to land in Canada before May 15. I have 2 questions.

1. My sister has some exams in May and June. Is it possible to postpone the date of May 15 as the arrival date (extend by another 6 months or something)?
2. if that is not possible, If they come and get the PR here, how long they have to be here before they can go back.

Has any one done something similar?

Thanks for your time...

Regards,
Shiyam

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Extending the date is not possible, however, they can land in Canada, return home immediately and then come back at their convenience. Just make sure that they are resident in Canada for 3 years between May 15 2011 and May 15 2016 in order for them to keep their PR status.

Congratulations!

ps. if they plan to land and then return fairly soon (within 6 weeks or so) they will need to provide your address to send the PR cards to. These can take up to a couple of months. Then you would have to securely send them to your family (via fed/ex or other courier) so they have their cards to return to Canada.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bobshynoswife said:
Extending the date is not possible, however, they can land in Canada, return home immediately and then come back at their convenience. Just make sure that they are resident in Canada for 3 years between May 15 2011 and May 15 2016 in order for them to keep their PR status.

Congratulations!
This is right except that the residency requirements are 2 out of 5 years, not 3.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
rjessome said:
This is right except that the residency requirements are 2 out of 5 years, not 3.
whoops...sorry!

shiyam198

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks a lot again Guys.. I have one more question on this.

I just learnt that my sister can only stay for about 4 weeks before she can go back home for the series of exams.

This is the plan:

1. Coming to canada in March.
2. Stay here for 4 weeks MAX.
3. Go back to Sri Lanka in April Mid.
4. Finish her exams.
5. Coming back in October.

It looks like she might not be able to receive her PR card during that time.
Questions:
1. how long does it take to get the PR?
2. If she does not receive her PR card, Can she go back to Sri Lanka with out it and come back in October? How would that work? Any restrictions?
3. If I get the PR after she left, is it legal to send the PR card through someone to Sri Lanka?

Thanks,
Shiyam

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Hi Shiyam, I have a question for you. How long did it take to get parents sponsorship approved? Btw, congratulations!!!

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Questions & answers:

1. how long does it take to get the PR? - About 6 weeks
2. If she does not receive her PR card, Can she go back to Sri Lanka with out it and come back in October? How would that work? Any restrictions? - She can definitely go back but will NOT be able to return WITHOUT the card. You can courier the card to her.
3. If I get the PR after she left, is it legal to send the PR card through someone to Sri Lanka? - Definitely yes.

shiyam198 said:
Thanks a lot again Guys.. I have one more question on this.

I just learnt that my sister can only stay for about 4 weeks before she can go back home for the series of exams.

This is the plan:

1. Coming to canada in March.
2. Stay here for 4 weeks MAX.
3. Go back to Sri Lanka in April Mid.
4. Finish her exams.
5. Coming back in October.

It looks like she might not be able to receive her PR card during that time.
Questions:
1. how long does it take to get the PR?
2. If she does not receive her PR card, Can she go back to Sri Lanka with out it and come back in October? How would that work? Any restrictions?
3. If I get the PR after she left, is it legal to send the PR card through someone to Sri Lanka?

Thanks,
Shiyam

shiyam198

Nov 10, 2010
Hey coldgirl - It took me 4 long years :).

Thanks to everyone who replied..

I talked to Immigration about this - They said, my sister can go back to Sri Lanka and apply for a travel document and then come back to Canada using that travel document and apply for PR card..

Has one tried this way?

Thanks,
Shiyam

lands

Jan 28, 2010
When you land in Canada the IO officer will process your VISA (Your immigration papers). An application for a PR card is automatically submitted as part of this process. The only thing you need to ensure is that you provide the IO with a valid address in Canada where you can receive the PR card. You need to then send the PR card back to you sister either via courier or maybe a relative or friend who will travel to SL before October. This is the BEST method for this situation. It takes about 4-6 weeks to receive a PR card.