+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got R-1 visa. What's next?

rubiya1

Jul 6, 2017
My r1 visa will expired soon
What I have to do ?
Can I apply for pr card ?
Can I wait for 730 day completed?
Either housband or wife any one can apply if any one has negative results she or he can reapply with sponsorship

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My r1 visa will expired soon
What I have to do ?
Can I apply for pr card ?
Can I wait for 730 day completed?
Either housband or wife any one can apply if any one has negative results she or he can reapply with sponsorship
The best thing would be to not leave Canada. Your case is confusing. What is your husband’s status. You also have a child born outside Canada.

Lamya

Nov 8, 2019
May I ask how long did it take to process your PRTD on H&C grounds ?
I would really appreciate your help
Thank you

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Hello,
I have applied for PRTD on H&C ground but received R1 counterfoil.
1) So should I contact local embassy to make it correct and give RC1?
2) Because what will be the situation at POE I don't know. Whether officer will allow me to go or report otherwise?
3) And if they allow me to go then can I apply for new PR card?
Please guide.

Last edited:

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Hi Mahtab,

Yes, I did apply for a new PR card and got it already. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries, I'd be more than happy to help you.
But did met residency obligation or applied for PRTD of H&C ground?

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
Hi Mahtab,

Yes, I did apply for a new PR card and got it already. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries, I'd be more than happy to help you.
Hi @Kaba16,

Could you please tell me when you applied for the PR card after receiving the R-1 visa? I was a minor when I received my PR card and I had to return to my home because of some emergency, I had applied for a PRTD on the basis of Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Now I have received an R-1 category Permanent Resident Travel Document with a single entry and it is valid for 6 months. Will I be able to perform a soft landing and complete the procedure required for the PR card and then return?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @Kaba16,

Could you please tell me when you applied for the PR card after receiving the R-1 visa? I was a minor when I received my PR card and I had to return to my home because of some emergency, I had applied for a PRTD on the basis of Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Now I have received an R-1 category Permanent Resident Travel Document with a single entry and it is valid for 6 months. Will I be able to perform a soft landing and complete the procedure required for the PR card and then return?
If you got PRTD based on H&C you should really be committing to living in Canada. This was the whole point of getting PRTD based on H&C and assume you explained that you intended on returning to Canada on a permanent basis.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
Hi @canuck78,

I am pursuing a bachelor's degree right now and I'll be graduating in 2025. I had mentioned it in the H&C letter as well, but the PRTD I have received is R1 category and it's valid for 6 months only. That's why I want to know whether or not I'll be eligible for a soft landing and getting the PR card.

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
Hello ,

I have also received my permanent resident travel document on humanitarian and compassionate(H&C) grounds. I also received my PRTD with R-1 counterfoil however after some hassle I was able to receive a correct PRTD with RC-1 counterfoil(correct one for PRTDs given on H&C grounds).

However I have been checking PR card renewal application form and document checklist. I saw nothing in these documents that would allow me to declare that my PRTD was given on H&C grounds, except for photocopy of my passport as an ID declaration. On the other side, in these documents I am asked to provide information about my whereabouts for the past 5 years, which is not Canada due to reasons that also granted me my PRTD on H&C grounds.

My questions are:

- How can I make sure that the officers will clearly understand that my PRTD was given on H&C grounds when I apply for a PR card renewal?

- Is the decision made for granting me a PRTD on H&C grounds the final one? Or will the PR card giving officers reevaluate my status for permanent residency? Or will they just check whether I have the correct documents?

- If I am called for an interview, can my representative attend the interview in my name instead of me?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and it would really be so wonderful if anyone could help me
Hi @erkerk123,

Could you please tell me how you got the correct PRTD with the RC-1 category after you received the PRTD having an R-1 category?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi @canuck78,

I am pursuing a bachelor's degree right now and I'll be graduating in 2025. I had mentioned it in the H&C letter as well, but the PRTD I have received is R1 category and it's valid for 6 months only. That's why I want to know whether or not I'll be eligible for a soft landing and getting the PR card.
You will need to enter before the PRTD expired and stay in Canada until you meet RO before you can apply for a new PR card. R1 means no H&C temp 1 year PR card.
And you could be required to pickup the PR card in person. If you leave without PR card or apply before you meet RO, you may not be able to get another PRTD again. (PR card renewal without meeting RO will be refused)

This is a very old discussion for R1 vs RC1. But it's still good information.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applied-for-prtd-on-h-c-grounds-but-received-the-prtd-as-category-r-1.487052/post-5960019

rrgulati

May 20, 2024
I applied for the PRTD on the basis of H&C but I got R-1 visa. That's why I'm asking how to deal with it. I won't be able to stay put in Canada right now because I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree and will graduate in July 2025.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied for the PRTD on the basis of H&C but I got R-1 visa. That's why I'm asking how to deal with it. I won't be able to stay put in Canada right now because I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree and will graduate in July 2025.
How to deal with it is up to you. You can leave and then apply for a PRTD when you expect to return; it could be approved, or it could be refused, in which case you would likely lose your PR status (barring a successful appeal).

Or you could stay in Canada and, for example, transfer to a Canadian university. Or some other decision about education. You would not lose your PR status.

No-one can tell you the likelihood of the second PRTD being refused. The R-1 issuance instead of RC-1 gives at least SOME hint that they possibly didn't think the case for H&C was strong. Would they find a second PRTD app for H&C based on your decision to finish your studies? It doesn't sound very compelling, but I honestly have no idea.

Going back to your post here above:
I was a minor when I received my PR card and I had to return to my home because of some emergency, I had applied for a PRTD on the basis of Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.
You say you were a minor and had to return because of some emergency, but based on having almost completed post-secondary education, you just stayed after you became an adult, and to a large degree as a matter of choice.

BTW the point of 'removed as a minor' is that your parents took the decision (whether an emergency or not is rather secondary in this context, unless that 'emergency' continued for several years, in which case 'emergency' may not be the right word). One of the ways they (reportedly) evaluate these removed-as-minor cases is whether the applicant tried to return as soon as feasible upon reaching age of majority. Having completed three years or more of secondary education, in most places after age of 18, would seem mathematically to put you right at the outer age of 'trying to return soon' after reaching a-o-m.

Anyway: I'm not trying to be argumentative and I do not know all the details of your case (maybe you started university at age 15). Just pointing out how it is possible this MAY be looked at.

At this point, you are an adult and the "removed-as-minor" thing probably not going to play any more, or at least higher risk. Is 'I wanted to finish my bachelor's degree' a compelling H&C reason? Don't know. Possibly they'd just give you a chance; possibly not.

Now that you're an adult, it's a not very enviable choice to have to make. Good luck.