+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got My Work Permit Done at the Border - Flag Pole

arisudu

Oct 30, 2012
Wanted to share my experience about getting work permit at the border from Rainbow Bridge, Canada

1. Drove to Rainbow Bridge on Wednesday evening at 7:30 PM at this location https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.09166,-79.070481&spn=0.001982,0.004619&t=m&z=18&iwloc=lyrftr:starred_items:112054042272101361301:,5660+Falls+Ave.+Niagara+Falls*,+Ontario,43.091613,-79.07032

2. Traffic was low. Said the officer in the booth that I want to process Canadian immigration document and would like to to do falgpole.

3. He asked another officer and handed my passport to him. After 2 mins he gave me a small paper with a reference number. I was told to park my car next to the building and show the paper to the guards at the building. There were two guards in front of the gate. Without seeing the paper he instructed to go to the 2nd floor of the building. Took the elevator and went to the 2nd floor.

4. After 10 mins I was attended by an officer with my passport and a peice of paper. He asked me to take the evevator. While in the elevator he asked me wheather I am doing Candian landing process. I told I'll be processing my work permit. He said I've the wrong paper let me get another one. We went up to the 2nd floor again and after 2 mins he came back with a paper. We took the elevator and came to the first floor of the building.

5. He told me to get my car. I got my car in front of the building and he handed me over the passport and the document dening entry in the US.

6. He opned a samll gate and asked me to enter Canadian side. I drove to the Canadian toll and paid $3.50 to enter the bridge. Traffic was almost nil.

7. I cheked the declined letter and there was no mention of I did a flagpole and denied entry in the US. It just said Refused entry in the US.

8. Went through the Canadian customes. The lady asked me if I have any metrial which I'm importing etc. Answer to all questions were NO. She said ok gave me a yellow paper and asked me to park my car infront of the building.

9. Parked my car and went inside the building and handed over my LMO, Offer Letter, Driving license (Or anyother Address proof will work) and Resume to the immigration officer. When I gave the US declined letter to the Canadian immigration officer she said (kind of mumbled) why they issues this document or something. And asked me to sit. Now I was worried if that would affect my futer entry in the US. US authorities did not stamp anything which says "entry declined" into the passport though.

10. After 15 mins I was asked to pay at the counter. Then after 20 mins I was given my new work permit. It took about 35 mins.

Can anyone tell me what your "declined entry into US document" mentined. For my document there was no reason mentioned. Just denied entry. I did not ask the Canadian immigration office about the US declined letter though. Will there be any problem in the future entring into US? I don't have the denied entry document with me. It was taken by the Canadian immigration officer.

dcp

Nov 21, 2012
Hello 'arisudu'. congrats on getting the WP. I need some information on getting the WP at Border. Please see my details on the http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/caqlmo-received-need-information-regarding-getting-wp-at-the-poe-t128162.0.html

I have a Valid OWP until March 2014. I want to get my CWP. I have my LMO & CAQ with me. Please do let me know the exact process to do a flagpole. My Visa has expired on July 2012 and don't have the US Visa to Enter to US. Will this be a problem to do a Flagpole?

Appreciate your kind advice.

arisudu

Oct 30, 2012
dcp said:
Hello 'arisudu'. congrats on getting the WP. I need some information on getting the WP at Border. Please see my details on the http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/caqlmo-received-need-information-regarding-getting-wp-at-the-poe-t128162.0.html

I have a Valid OWP until March 2014. I want to get my CWP. I have my LMO & CAQ with me. Please do let me know the exact process to do a flagpole. My Visa has expired on July 2012 and don't have the US Visa to Enter to US. Will this be a problem to do a Flagpole?

Appreciate your kind advice.
I don't think you can flag pole with an expired visa. But not too sure. You can call CIC and ask them if you can flagpole with an expired visa. I've mentioned all the details in my post. There is no additional steps. It's smooth.

iRuni

Dec 18, 2012
Hey, I am international student, I got new study permit, and expired visa, can I go to Canada/USA boarder and do flagpole?
Thanks

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
Thanx so much arisudu for recounting your "flagpoling" experience. It was extremely helpful and informative. However, seems like, at one moment, while back on the Canadian side, you were caught up in an atmosphere of suspense and uncertainty.

Fortunately, all went well. Good luck to you. Hope your next experience won´t be so filled with suspense. Check out this very interesting and informative blog. This person´s experience is not much different than yours:

http://marmitetomaple.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/a-trip-around-the-flagpole-activating-my-second-year-visa/

Although I have been living in Portugal for over 20 years, as a longtime Canadian citizen I believe another way should be found to deal with the work permit renewal issue. Having to travel all the way to the border, sometimes hundreds of km away, just to get a paasport or something else stamped or simply to pick up a document causes unnecessary inconvenience and hardship to non-residents. If a law-abiding non-resident has, for example h a 2 yr. contarct and only a 1 yr. WP, a simpler and more convenient way to renew it should and can be found. Actually, there probably is an easier way ... it´s very hard to believe that you really have to go to a border-crossing point.

As we all know, being allowed into Canada is a "privilege", not a "right", but there´s no reason to make things needlessly complicated and bureaucratic for non- residents. The fact that Canada has so many law-abiding, hard-working and talented non-permanment residents is a "privilege" in its own "right".