+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA for CEC, but wanted FSW

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
My postgrad work permit is valid till July 2017. I have so far acquired full 2 years of work experience after graduation. (all studies and work experience is in Canada)

But the way things are, my 2 years of experience simply does not give enough points. I really want to include my internship experience in this.

My internship was full time. It needed a work permit along with my study permit. I did not attend any classes during this period (technically part-time student). It was from May 2012 to September 2013.

I know someone who was in the same position last year. He was able to include his internship under FSW because FSW counts work experiences for upto 10 years. It did not matter if it was an internship as it was a full time job with proper NOC designation.

The only requirement from CEC is that the work experience cannot be older than 3 year (correct me if i'm wrong).

I was eligible for both CEC and FSW. I got the ITA under CEC but is there any way I can apply under FSW? Would it make sense to decline the application now and hope for FSW ITA later?

Side note: My point was 474 and the cut off was 472. If they refuse to include my internship, my points will be lower than the cutoff and I would have to decline my application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
tsf14 said:
But the way things are, my 2 years of experience simply does not give enough points. I really want to include my internship experience in this.

My internship was full time. It needed a work permit along with my study permit. I did not attend any classes during this period (technically part-time student). It was from May 2012 to September 2013.

I know someone who was in the same position last year. He was able to include his internship under FSW because FSW counts work experiences for upto 10 years. It did not matter if it was an internship as it was a full time job with proper NOC designation.

The only requirement from CEC is that the work experience cannot be older than 3 year (correct me if i'm wrong).

I was eligible for both CEC and FSW. I got the ITA under CEC but is there any way I can apply under FSW? Would it make sense to decline the application now and hope for FSW ITA later?

Side note: My point was 474 and the cut off was 472. If they refuse to include my internship, my points will be lower than the cutoff and I would have to decline my application.
I think what you are saying is:

You were a full-time student IN CANADA, and as part of your study program, you worked for one year as an intern, as described here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp

Further, when you developed your profile, you claimed that internship as "work experience" and indicated that you were not a full-time student at the time. Is this correct?

There are internships, and there are internships-as-part-of-the-study-program. Internships done after the completion of studies, or as a student OUTSIDE OF CANADA certainly do count as work, as long as they are paid and in a skilled occupation. As you are probably aware, no work experience gained while a full-time student IN CANADA can count as work experience. Even though you did not attend classes, your internship was considered part of your study program.

You should not claim this as Canadian work experience (either for CRS points or for the CEC program). Meaning, it does not matter whether you apply through CEC or FSW, the experience does not count. And you cannot claim it as "foreign" work experience, either, if it was done in Canada. It should make no difference whether you apply through CEC or FSW.

I do not know the circumstances of your friend's success - it is possible that the VO made an error in his favor, but you should not count on a VO making the same mistake for you. You can certainly try, stranger things have happened, but personally, I wouldn't want to spend the money or time waiting to be refused. But if you have the time & money to spare, and no options worth waiting for, there is nothing stopping you from applying with your ITA.

Last year, if a person was eligible for both FSW and CEC, FSW was the "default." That was changed this year for very good reasons - CEC is a much simpler application for both applicant and VO. The only way you could provoke a FSW invite now would be to become ineligible for CEC (e.g. have less than 1 year of Canadian work experience in your profile).

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
jes_ON said:
I think what you are saying is:

You were a full-time student IN CANADA, and as part of your study program, you worked for one year as an intern, as described here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp

Further, when you developed your profile, you claimed that internship as "work experience" and indicated that you were not a full-time student at the time. Is this correct?

There are internships, and there are internships-as-part-of-the-study-program. Internships done after the completion of studies, or as a student OUTSIDE OF CANADA certainly do count as work, as long as they are paid and in a skilled occupation. As you are probably aware, no work experience gained while a full-time student IN CANADA can count as work experience. Even though you did not attend classes, your internship was considered part of your study program.

You should not claim this as Canadian work experience (either for CRS points or for the CEC program). Meaning, it does not matter whether you apply through CEC or FSW, the experience does not count. And you cannot claim it as "foreign" work experience, either, if it was done in Canada. It should make no difference whether you apply through CEC or FSW.

I do not know the circumstances of your friend's success - it is possible that the VO made an error in his favor, but you should not count on a VO making the same mistake for you. You can certainly try, stranger things have happened, but personally, I wouldn't want to spend the money or time waiting to be refused. But if you have the time & money to spare, and no options worth waiting for, there is nothing stopping you from applying with your ITA.

Last year, if a person was eligible for both FSW and CEC, FSW was the "default." That was changed this year for very good reasons - CEC is a much simpler application for both applicant and VO. The only way you could provoke a FSW invite now would be to become ineligible for CEC (e.g. have less than 1 year of Canadian work experience in your profile).
Yes you are correct with all the points. My internship is the grey area here. My friend was able to use his internship in his FSW by providing a letter of explanation on why should it be considered as work experience. But this was last year.

You mentioned that this year I will always default to getting a CEC ITA in every round, is that correct? In that case I cannot pull off what my friend did. So should I just decline my ITA and hope the points drop?

P.S: What are other international students like me doing anyways? By now there should be thousands of people with 2 years of post grad work experience just waiting on the fence. There is no way we can get 3 years of work experience without work permit extension.