+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow. Not declared car

syed38101

Oct 19, 2018
Hello All. Until last year I lived in the USA and owned a car there (car is now with a friend, title is still in my name). I had to return to India and now moved to Canada on PR. I planned on looking into having my car shipped through moving company once I settled in Canada.

At the customs/immigration, I was asked if I have any goods to follow. Having heard this question for the first time and really unaware that my car would qualify as goods to follow, I said no.

Now I find that I should have declared my car as goods to follow. I understand that if I had declared the car during my first landing, I would not be paying taxes on it. Now that I had initially not declared it, can I do it now? Can I contact CBSA now to have my car added as a goods to follow ? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All. Until last year I lived in the USA and owned a car there (car is now with a friend, title is still in my name). I had to return to India and now moved to Canada on PR. I planned on looking into having my car shipped through moving company once I settled in Canada.

At the customs/immigration, I was asked if I have any goods to follow. Having heard this question for the first time and really unaware that my car would qualify as goods to follow, I said no.

Now I find that I should have declared my car as goods to follow. I understand that if I had declared the car during my first landing, I would not be paying taxes on it. Now that I had initially not declared it, can I do it now? Can I contact CBSA now to have my car added as a goods to follow ? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
I don't believe that you can add anything more if you have already entered Canada with the intention of settling for at least one year.
That ship, has sailed...

If, on the other hand, you have only done a "soft landing" and didn't submit any B4 or BSF168 forms before going home to India after a very short period of time in Canada, you might be able to recover the situation.

Last edited:

syed38101

Oct 19, 2018
I don't believe that you can add anything more if you have already entered Canada with the intention of settling for at least one year.
That ship, has sailed...

If, on the other hand, you have only done a "soft landing" and didn't submit any B4 or BSF168 forms before going home to India after a very short period of time in Canada, you might be able to recover the situation.
My wife will be joining me in a month or so and will be doing her first landing. Can she declare my car (my name is on the title) as Goods to Follow when she arrives here in Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My wife will be joining me in a month or so and will be doing her first landing. Can she declare my car (my name is on the title) as Goods to Follow when she arrives here in Canada?
Yes, she can. At least, I think so.