+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow list - Moving after two years after soft landing

irwe

May 18, 2022
Can anyone please help me with information or any insights on how to import a car from the USA to Canada that is bought in the USA after the soft landing date in Canada?

I did a soft landing in Nov 2022 and I am planning to move permanently to Canada in Jan 2024 with my newly bought cars which are purchased after my soft landing in Nov 2022. On the soft landing, I haven't given any GTF form to the customs officer as I don't have any goods at that time that I want to declare, I just arrived in Canada for a soft landing and stayed only for a week. And now that I am planning to come to Canada in 2024 January, this time to actually live in Canada

1. can I submit a Goods To Follow (GTF) form again on my second arrival to Canada with all the goods I actually want to import into Canada including my new car?
  2. If so, can anyone help me with what the process will be and how much will it be costing? My vehicles are Tesla Model Y 2023 and Volvo S60 Recharge 2023

Anyone who had similar experiences please share if anyone has any information regarding this.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
You cannot import something that you bought after soft landing. You have to either sell them before moving or pay the import tax on the value of the car. I would suggest to sell it before moving as the Used car market is still good right now and you will not lose a lot on depreciation.

irwe

May 18, 2022
You cannot import something that you bought after soft landing. You have to either sell them before moving or pay the import tax on the value of the car. I would suggest to sell it before moving as the Used car market is still good right now and you will not lose a lot on depreciation.
Appreciate the response, But I was also told that even after a soft landing I can still submit a new GTF form during my arrival (second time arrival) in Canada when I actually move there. Can you please help guide me to any official documentation saying that I cannot import something that I bought after my soft landing? Thanks again!