+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow and Importing car

brttnywtlngtn

Jan 7, 2017
Denver
evening,
so i’m already landed and everything and have been for a little over a month. i am going to go back to colorado in a couple weeks for my brother’s wedding and also to bring the rest of my things with me.

i have gone through all the necessary steps with a goods to follow and will with everything else when it comes to importing my car.

my question is this: my father in law is going to drive another vehicle car full of my belongings that will not fit in my own car. is this going to cause a problem for cbsa since i am not in the vehicle itself? do i have to fill out any other paperwork?

thanks in advance! i can’t seem to find anything on the subject.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Me and my husband did this (he was driving the van full of my stuff, I was driving my car). Ideally you'll you get in line at the border together, preferably with him behind you, so you can tell the border folks that he's with you and they'll direct him to pull off to secondary with you.

Reactions: brttnywtlngtn

brttnywtlngtn

Jan 7, 2017
Denver
Me and my husband did this (he was driving the van full of my stuff, I was driving my car). Ideally you'll you get in line at the border together, preferably with him behind you, so you can tell the border folks that he's with you and they'll direct him to pull off to secondary with you.
thank you so much for your reply!

did you have any problems at all? we’re worried about the officers not considering everything in the other car as mine if i am not physically present with them. if they consider everything as his, he’ll have to pay duties and taxes. as opposed to not paying for them since it’s all on my goods to follow.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
thank you so much for your reply!

did you have any problems at all? we’re worried about the officers not considering everything in the other car as mine if i am not physically present with them. if they consider everything as his, he’ll have to pay duties and taxes. as opposed to not paying for them since it’s all on my goods to follow.
No, no problems whatsoever. If you are importing the car, they will completely understand why it's not possible for you to be driving two vehicles at once.

Note, I'm assuming you guys are crossing at the same time and can "caravan" through the border crossing as I suggested. If he's coming up at a totally different time, that's where things have the potential to get tricky. But as long as you cross at the same time, I would not anticipate any issues whatsoever

brttnywtlngtn

Jan 7, 2017
Denver
No, no problems whatsoever. If you are importing the car, they will completely understand why it's not possible for you to be driving two vehicles at once.

Note, I'm assuming you guys are crossing at the same time and can "caravan" through the border crossing as I suggested. If he's coming up at a totally different time, that's where things have the potential to get tricky. But as long as you cross at the same time, I would not anticipate any issues whatsoever
thank you so much for your advice.

i realized i didn’t change the wording of my post (i had posted it a few weeks ago on another part of the forum and never got an answer.) but we actually crossed today and everything went totally perfectly. they drove in the border line up behind me and we were able to explain everything. they didn’t even search any of our belongings, they just worked on importing my car. which also went well.

thank you again for your reply and easing my mind about the whole thing.

Reactions: KBH