+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good areas to live in Coquitlam

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
We are moving from Australia to Canada this year, and we are deciding where to live in Vancouver. We run our own businesses, therefore, commuting is not really a problem for us; although I do need to travel to Downtown for meetings probably once a week.

I am deciding between Coquitlam and Burnaby. We prefer a house, we have 2 childern and 1 dog (small), I checked on Richmond but it seems none accepts pets there!

I do want to send my childern to good schools, that's the main priority. Can someone recommend good areas within Coquitlam and Burnaby areas?

We would prefer to rent first: Our budget is CAD$2,000 to CAD$2,500

Many Thanks

A

ankit0uc

Given your budget, you can get a very good place in Vancouver mainland too.

Within in City, I would recommned -areas around Dunbar and 16 Avenue.

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
Thanks, that was a surprise when we checked on the rental price in Vancouver, I thought it is equally expensive as in Sydney, Australia, where a 1-br unit in a medium-range north shore suburb would cost AUD$2,000 a month! You can rent a townhouse in Vancouver already!

Do you know much about North Vanocuver and Port Moody? The most important thing for us is education, we have children in primary schools, and would like to ensure they are in the "right" districts.

Many Thanks

scorpiof3

Jul 30, 2009
Hi moneycat

I have been researching a lot as to the best possible place to settle, like you my main concern is the school where my children will go to.

So far, the area that gives us a best location is North Vancouver. Though people say that it is quite expensive for that area. So in July when we land, we have rented a place in North Van to give us a more realistic feeling of how to really live in that area.

A friend of mine also suggested Port Moody, Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. Apparently these area are on the cusp of expansion and development is in high gear. Also, it is cheaper to buy a house in these areas at this stage of their development.

Hope this helps....

BKKMAN

moneycat

Jan 30, 2010
Thanks, are there any particular good public schools in West Vancouver? Do we need to live in those districts in order to attend there?

I also having a look at North Vancouver, there are many schools, I wonder if there is a major difference between the West & East end of North Vancouver (Seymour Creek).

Thanks for your help, yes, we have been looking very hard, Port Moody looks nice; also North Vancouver, I am relieved that our budget is acceptable, I have been told that how expensive Vancouver is....I guess it all depends on comparisons.

AlberMex

Star Member
May 8, 2008
Guadalajara Mexico
The school will depend in the area you live.
West vancouver is more accesible to downtown, only 15 min by bus. In North Vancouver you have to take the bus and seabus.
Port moody is very far away...forget it!
I live in West Vancouver, next to the seawall, I pay 1,030 for 1 bed, big enough, balcony, in a very beautiful area, just 2 min walking to the bus stop. I can see Stanley park from my balcony.