+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Go for IELTS General. Celpip is a waste of time and money. Thoughts?

Sep 6, 2017
Hi.
If you are not sure if you should take IELTS or Celpip General, from my personal experience I suggest IELTS. The main reason why I suggest IELTS is because they have better prepared tests and more reliable evaluations. Although Cellpip has an online system where you do everything on a computer and IELTS is all paper based, at the end of the day our focus is to get a reasonable score.

I took both tests and for my surprise my Speaking and Writing Scores in Celpip were significantly lower.
IELTS.
Speaking:
IELTS: 7.5 (83%) Celpip: 7 (58%)
Writing:
IELTS: 6.5 (72%) Celpip: 7 (58%)

Celpip Issues:
-Sample writing material not aligned with real test
-You have to describe crazy pictures in Celpip during the speaking part
-The test center gets very noisy during test. People start speaking and can distract you
-Headsets are very old and might not record your voice correctly

Aside from my personal opinion I saw cases here in different forum questions where native English speakers from other countries got a 7 in Speaking and Writing as well. After explaining he was a native speaker and asking for a revision Celpip apologized and corrected it.

In summary, if you want to have a clear assessment of your English level take the IELTS. Maybe you can also take the TOEFL test, but avoid taking the Celpip.

Has anybody taken the 2 tests as well?

osamawmd

Dec 22, 2016
Yes, I took both, and I completely agree with you. What is funny is that I took both tests with 3 days in between and I did not practice at all during these days. Results were CELPIP CLB 7 in all bands (after remarking) which is IELTS 6. And my IELTS results were 8,7,6,8 LRWS.