+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in canada

condor90

Dec 6, 2015
Hi all,

Im Canadian citizen and I want my wife to give birth in Canada. The problem is that she has a tourist status in Canada.

Im wondering if she has the right for the OHIP card or any other insurance.

Please I need solutions or any suggestions.

Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
condor90 said:
Im Canadian citizen and I want my wife to give birth in Canada. The problem is that she has a tourist status in Canada.

Im wondering if she has the right for the OHIP card or any other insurance.
Usually, no she can't get OHIP unless she already submitted an INLAND PR application and has stage 1 approval (takes 17 months). And she can't get insurance for pregnancy if she is already pregnant.

Please I need solutions or any suggestions.
In Ontario, OHIP will pay for a midwife to use during your pregnancy and delivery, even if you don't have OHIP coverage. So this is the best option.

If you can't get a midwife (they are in very high demand in many cities), then you will need to prepare to pay all pregnancy and hospital delivery costs out of pocket. I would budget at least $5K - $10K, possible more if there are any complications.

dellahays01

Oct 26, 2015
In Canada, you visit the passport office and its mailed back to your address....again within 20 days.

Canada will issue a 3 years passport for child and you will have to renew at the consulate overseas to get a 5 years passport after it expires . that takes a minimum of 20 working days from the canadian consulate in Shanghai (Lagos is usually very slower in processing anything, so plan 2 months ahead)

Basically. Canada sends your passport application back to passport canada for processing...

hjoelle

Apr 13, 2015
Hey @Condor90

My husband is sponsoring me for my PR and I've also been on tourist visa while I wait. I am currently 3 months pregnant with no insurance or OHIP as I was too late to get insurance- you have to apply for it before you get pregnant. My hospital bill is already adding up as Im expected to have twins and there is absolutely nothing your wife can do in regards to OHIP or insurance unless she chooses to go back to her home country. I decided to stay besides my husband in Canada instead of going home and incur the hospital debts from all the ultrasound etc. I also recommend your wife looking into a community health center in your local area as I found my doctor there for prenatal care with no costs involved and they will be able to refer her to hospitals or obgyns from there.