+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving Birth In Canada As Tourist. Procedure and cost ?

Rishi0235

Star Member
Aug 21, 2018
Hello can you help me please my wife is pregnant in 8th month we want a delivery in my baby in canada can you knw me how many cost in baby birth in canada
We have all ready tourist visa for canada
You should make sure you have at least $10,000 saved up to cover the costs of the birth. However if there are any complications, the costs can end up being much higher.

You should be aware that when your wife arrives in Canada, entry into Canada is not guaranteed. CBSA generally doesn't like birth tourism and there's always some risk your wife could be denied entry and sent home on the next plane.
ok and after birth baby his give a baby citizenships in canada

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello can you help me please my wife is pregnant in 8th month we want a delivery in my baby in canada can you knw me how many cost in baby birth in canada

If she is 8 months pregnant, she likely won't even be allowed on the plane, let alone into Canada. As already mentioned, CBSA doesn't like birth tourism.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most airlines would also be concerned that they will have to pay for a return flight if you get denied entry into Canada and may check with the embassy whether they are aware you are pregnant and planning to give birth in Canada. Although birth tourism is technically legal it is certainly not something Canada wants to encourage. Also Canada doesn’t want to absorb any unpaid medical bills. Considering you would have to pay for medical expenses and living costs for multiple months you would have to show a very healthy bank balance.

Agree that the minimum costs are likely to be 10K. If you child has to go to the NICU for even a day your costs will skyrocket.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Yes - the baby will receive citizenship. However this won't give any benefits to the parents. Also - you may find it more difficultto obtain new TRVs in the future.

Reactions: Buletruck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that generally apart from fact that many airlines will not allow someone to board from 30- 36 weeks especially if a long haul flight , your wife will in any case need a medical certificate to show to the airline confirming she is fit to fly . Without doctors certificate especially if at 8 months will not be able to check in. Hopefully you would not think about trying to skip on the certificate given if there were an emergency resulting in a diversion the airline could have the right to recover costs.

There is no guarantee that if you accompany your wife that both of you will be allowed to enter the country so worst case your wife might be allowed entry but you could either be denied entry or allowed in for a restricted time due to purpose of visit which will be obvious as birth tourism.

As posted above having a baby in Canada gives the parents zero rights so you will still need to maintain a legal status and not overstay.

Basically Canada does not like birth tourism and whilst it is not illegal anyone planning such a expedition should be aware it does not come for free.

Final point assume you have assessed the situation regarding dual citizenship in your home country given not all countries allow dual citizenship .

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/persons-wishing-enter-canada-purpose-giving-birth.html

Last edited:

new2020

Jan 22, 2020
Hi,
I intended to give the birth in Toronto in this year with vistor visa. I'd like to seek all advices/experiences on some below queries:

1. How long does it take to have passport for the child to come back our country with me?

2. Understanding that the child is Canada citizen while parent are not. But could the child have immediately the free healthcare like Canadian citizen?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I intended to give the birth in Toronto in this year with vistor visa. I'd like to seek all advices/experiences on some below queries:

1. How long does it take to have passport for the child to come back our country with me?

2. Understanding that the child is Canada citizen while parent are not. But could the child have immediately the free healthcare like Canadian citizen?
You aren't going to get much support on here for birth tourism.

1. Google the processing times.

2. No. If there are complications and the child ends up in the NICU, you can expect a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. Birth tourists have racked up MASSIVE bills, up to a million dollars or more, and then fled the country without paying. If you don't have a million dollars, don't come here for the birth.

Reactions: jddd

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

Regarding question 1. I will share my experience, not sure how it is for others. It took 4 months for them to start registering our birth for a birth certificate. Then another month to actually get the birth certificate, next time I will pay for expedited processing which will save a month. Then applied for a passport which takes about ten business days and we actually got it after 7 business days or so.

All together finally got a passport after 5 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Be aware that you can be turned away once you land. You will likely have difficulty returning to Canada for quite sometime. There is also quite a lot of momentum when it comes to cracking down on Birth tourism and securing citizenship by children of visitors.

new2020

Jan 22, 2020
Thanks all for your sharing & advices. Welcome all futher advice.

Totally understand that I have to bear the birth cost in hospital and it will take around 4 months to have child's passport. May I seek advice if the child can have medical treatment and vitamin/vacine (for free like a citizen) during 4 months while waiting for birth certificate and passport.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Totally understand that I have to bear the birth cost in hospital and it will take around 4 months to have child's passport. May I seek advice if the child can have medical treatment and vitamin/vacine (for free like a citizen) during 4 months while waiting for birth certificate and passport.
Keep in mind that you still have to remain legal in the country so you should ensure that whatever stay you are granted at the border, which by the way may not even be long enough for the birth, that you apply to extend your stay as a visitor and do not become a illegal overstayer.

Waiting for a passport does not give you any legal status and also no idea which country you come from but assume you have also taken into account any visa requirements going into your home country for a Canadian passport holder as the child will be. Unless your country accepts dual citizenship and you are using the 4 months to apply for a home country passport as well.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

What else would you like the Government to give ?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
You might derive a benefit in about 25 years IF people are still permitted to sponsor their parents and IF the kid becomes established ($$$,$$$) in Canada sufficiently to afford it.

"Understand that the child is Canada citizen while parent not" actually means that it is legally possible to deport the parents and since the child is Canadian, he/she is put into a foster care situation with brand new temporary parents.

How could that happen? Let's say you arrive but are denied entry and your wife goes into labour.

The mother would receive her care for free because she'll be in detention and scheduled for removal the very moment that she's healthy enough. You'll be gone because nobody needs you for any of this, and the child goes into foster care because you can't deport a Canadian citizen.

You can get the child back eventually but you'll need legal representation since your return to Canada is unlikely.

You are going to a lot of trouble and expense in order to realize something with limited benefit and that could potentially explode unimaginably in your face. As far as bright ideas go, birth tourism is a time-tested loser.

They might hold your wife in detention until a Canadian passport is made available so that she can take your child out of Canada. Just think, once your kid gets older as you grow old, they can abandon you completely by hopping on a plane to Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As I already stated, no, your child will not have free healthcare. You will have to pay ALL COSTS. Again, this is how people rack up million dollar bills, flee the country and leave the taxpayers of Camada stuck with their bill.

Reactions: Qwertypod