+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gift deed from brother in canada, should be notorized ?

tanit

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
hi guys ,
I'll be having a small amount of funds transferred to my bank account from my brother (Canadian citizen)

- does the affidavit of gift deed should be notorized or a simple signed and scanned letter would work ?
- also , I've been covering some of my brother's expenses in my home country from my bank account (the one and only, used for oinp nomination) , and that is main the reason of the gift , do you think I should mention this in the LOE ?

PS: pof dilemma : some say that the funds should stay untouched for 6 months ...

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
hi guys ,
I'll be having a small amount of funds transferred to my bank account from my brother (Canadian citizen)

- does the affidavit of gift deed should be notorized or a simple signed and scanned letter would work ?
- also , I've been covering some of my brother's expenses in my home country from my bank account (the one and only, used for oinp nomination) , and that is main the reason of the gift , do you think I should mention this in the LOE ?

PS: pof dilemma : some say that the funds should stay untouched for 6 months ...
It's always best to get a document like that notarized just in case. My understanding of affidavits is that they are supposed to be notarized anyway

If you're getting the gift deed, there's not need to go as far as explaining that the reason your brother has to give you the gift is because you were managing some expenses. You can if you want to, but it's more information that CIC needs to know and probably isn't relevant to them.

Your claimed settlement funds do not have to stay untouched for 6 months. This is a misunderstanding of the 6-month rule. The 6-month history just helps CIC look at your recent history to see if there are any large and unexplained deposits that could raise CIC's suspicions and possibly be funds from a loan that you're trying to pass of as your own, unencumbered funds (we're not allowed to use loans for settlement funds). As long as all large and unexplained deposits are explained (such as the gift from your brother which will be explained via the gift deed), and you have the amount you need at the time of submission of your application, you'll be fine - it doesn't matter if your account drops a little below the threshold before submission and the funds are 'touched'.

Reactions: tanit

tanit

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
It's always best to get a document like that notarized just in case. My understanding of affidavits is that they are supposed to be notarized anyway

If you're getting the gift deed, there's not need to go as far as explaining that the reason your brother has to give you the gift is because you were managing some expenses. You can if you want to, but it's more information that CIC needs to know and probably isn't relevant to them.

Your claimed settlement funds do not have to stay untouched for 6 months. This is a misunderstanding of the 6-month rule. The 6-month history just helps CIC look at your recent history to see if there are any large and unexplained deposits that could raise CIC's suspicions and possibly be funds from a loan that you're trying to pass of as your own, unencumbered funds (we're not allowed to use loans for settlement funds). As long as all large and unexplained deposits are explained (such as the gift from your brother which will be explained via the gift deed), and you have the amount you need at the time of submission of your application, you'll be fine - it doesn't matter if your account drops a little below the threshold before submission and the funds are 'touched'.
thank you crescent_jam , good luck to you