+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting work permit for my wife who is an American citizen

dennyflex

Sep 28, 2012
hello, i need an advice on this issue bordering me. i am an international student in Canada and recently visited my fiancee a US citizen in the United state and we got married in the court and she wanted to live with me in Canada, which of course she doesn't need a visa to visit me here in Canada as a US citizen yet she do need a work permit to work. now my questions is, what will be the requirements for getting a work permit for her. and also how long will it take before the work permit is issue?. and also i am thinking may be i could sponsor her on my status as a student by submitting our marriage certificate and some other document too for a work permit, since i thought international student are allowed to bring in their spouse to live with them while studying and work too. could you please clarify on this for me?

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dennyflex said:
hello, i need an advice on this issue bordering me. i am an international student in Canada and recently visited my fiancee a US citizen in the United state and we got married in the court and she wanted to live with me in Canada, which of course she doesn't need a visa to visit me here in Canada as a US citizen yet she do need a work permit to work. now my questions is, what will be the requirements for getting a work permit for her. and also how long will it take before the work permit is issue?. and also i am thinking may be i could sponsor her on my status as a student by submitting our marriage certificate and some other document too for a work permit, since i thought international student are allowed to bring in their spouse to live with them while studying and work too. could you please clarify on this for me?
You didn't explicitly say so but I'm assuming you're a US citizen as well. Simply accompany your new spouse to the nearest port of entry. Since you're already a student, you'll need the following documents for you/her:

1) your original study permit
2) both passports (yours and hers)
3) marriage cerificate/license
4) proof of funds (current bank account statement will do assumimng the deposit balance is sufficient) - NOTE: you'll need an amount larger the amount you needed to show when you applied for your study permit, since you now need to have enough to cover your spouse's expenses as well
5) $150 work permit fee

As a US citizen, no medicals or background checks are required. Spousal Open Work Permit will be issued on the spot and stapled into your wife's passport, and the expiration date will be the same as expiration of your study permit. Since she'll be getting a Work Permit, no Extended Vistors Permit (Visitor record) will be necessary. As soon as you can have her go to the nearest Service Canada location to apply for a SIN. They'll issue her a number on the spot and she'll get the actual card in the mail a few weeks later. Depending on the province, she might need the SIN in order to apply for medical and pharmacy coverage. You'll also need to arrange temporary medical insurance for her during the waiting period (BC requires this; not sure about elsewhere).

The whole process at the border shouldn't take longer than 20 mimnutes or so.

Best of luck to you.