+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting PR card mailed

tireoghain15

Jun 8, 2015
Hi,

I've just sent off my PPR to Ottawa so hopefully I should be receiving COPR soon. As far as I know the PR card gets mailed to us automatically after landing and is currently taking around 40-45 days. I will be leaving Canada for a couple of months shortly before this would be received. I won't have a mailing address for those couple of months. Is it possible to have it mailed to a friend who can then forward it onto me so I have it for my return?

sunichak

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you land, you need to apply for PR card providing your address of correspondence and i think you need to stay there around 2 months.
I heard sometime back that they may call you and ask you to pick the PR card at their center in person rather than mailing it to your address.

fawn

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Upon landing, do they ask you where you want your PR card delivered?

Or they ask you your current address and they automatically send it there?

tireoghain15

Jun 8, 2015
sunichak said:
After you land, you need to apply for PR card providing your address of correspondence and i think you need to stay there around 2 months.
I heard sometime back that they may call you and ask you to pick the PR card at their center in person rather than mailing it to your address.
My understanding was that when you land for the first time you don't need to apply for a PR card it automatically gets sent to you within a certain time frame. I know a few friends who've had it dealt with through this way.

sunichak

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to apply and provide address

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fawn said:
Upon landing, do they ask you where you want your PR card delivered?

Or they ask you your current address and they automatically send it there?
When we landed, they asked us for proof of address - driver's license, etc. We didn't have it, and there was no problem - they just asked for our address. We told them, and that is where they will send the cards (we landed September 18, don't have the cards yet).

You don't apply separately for the cards, so they are sent (within Canada) to the address you tell them while you land. If you are coming from outside, you can of course tell them that you are staying with a friend while you look for a place and give them that address - and then that is where they will send the cards. I would not confuse them by trying to give them two separate addresses - one for you and one for the cards.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
You do not need to formally apply for a PR card. Once you complete your landing formalities, you will have to provide the officer with an address where CIC will mail your PR cards. Yes, you can provide your friend's address. The officer does not ask for a proof of address.

Please note that when you receive your passports, CIC could have stamped them with a ONE TIME USE visa, which you will use to complete your landing formalities. You can leave the country after that, no issues there BUT when you come back you NEED TO HAVE your PR card. Once your friend receives your PR card, he can mail it to you. You need to have your PR card during entry even if you are from a Visa exempt country.

I completed my landing on August 29th and received my PR card yesterday.

Hope this helps.

fawn

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dobes said:
When we landed, they asked us for proof of address - driver's license, etc. We didn't have it, and there was no problem - they just asked for our address.
do you think it would be ok if i told them a different address compared to the address i wrote in my application form?

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
fawn said:
do you think it would be ok if i told them a different address compared to the address i wrote in my application form?
[/quote

As long as it is a Canadian address, there should be no problem.

tireoghain15

Jun 8, 2015
mazamilam said:
You do not need to formally apply for a PR card. Once you complete your landing formalities, you will have to provide the officer with an address where CIC will mail your PR cards. Yes, you can provide your friend's address. The officer does not ask for a proof of address.

Please note that when you receive your passports, CIC could have stamped them with a ONE TIME USE visa, which you will use to complete your landing formalities. You can leave the country after that, no issues there BUT when you come back you NEED TO HAVE your PR card. Once your friend receives your PR card, he can mail it to you. You need to have your PR card during entry even if you are from a Visa exempt country.

I completed my landing on August 29th and received my PR card yesterday.

Hope this helps.
It does mazamilam - thank you very much!