+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to a canadian PR after obtaining TRV but before entry

Parry_k

Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All

I am an Indian engaged since Jan 2016 to be married to a Canadian PR in December 2016.
I was trying to get a PR on my own before our marriage through Express Entry. However, despite my CRS of 481, I have not had a successful draw so far since the draws from May onwards have been at a higher CRS.
My plan is to upgrade my skills after entering in Canada to improve my employ-ability. For this I had applied for a Post Graduate Diploma and I have already been accepted for the Winter 2017 term starting Jan 2017.
Now my issue is that I would have obtained by TRV before my wedding in December. But my marital status will change before I make the entry in Canada.
Despite many consultants telling us otherwise, we have decided to inform the visa office of the change in marital status before entry.
But I am confused as to how to do it and what could be the processing time for it? Will they simply update my TRV or will it require a new application?

(I have checked the guideline for changes to Study permit if any personal condition changes, but that seems to be applicable if one is already in canada on study permit. In my case, i will have got the stamp on PP but not the study permit)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Re: Getting married to a canadian PR after obtaining TRV but before landing

Parry_k said:
Hello All

I am an Indian engaged since Jan 2016 to be married to a Canadian PR in December 2016.
I was trying to get a PR on my own before our marriage through Express Entry. However, despite my CRS of 481, I have not had a successful draw so far since the draws from May onwards have been at a higher CRS.
My plan is to upgrade my skills after landing in Canada to improve my employ-ability. For this I had applied for a Post Graduate Diploma and I have already been accepted for the Winter 2017 term starting Jan 2017.
Now my issue is that I would have obtained by TRV before my wedding in December. But my marital status will change before I make the landing.
Despite many consultants telling us otherwise, we have decided to inform the visa office of the change in marital status before landing.
But I am confused as to how to do it and what could be the processing time for it? Will they simply update my TRV or will it require a new application?

(I have checked the guideline for changes to Study permit if any personal condition changes, but that seems to be applicable if one is already in canada on study permit. In my case, i will have got the stamp on PP but not the study permit)
"Landing" refers in immigration terms to the process of becoming a "landed immigrant" aka "permanent resident" and is not a term normally used in regards to a temporary visa holder. You may therefore be confusing the mandatory requirements for reporting status changes.

Parry_k

Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Getting married to a canadian PR after obtaining TRV but before landing

zardoz said:
"Landing" refers in immigration terms to the process of becoming a "landed immigrant" aka "permanent resident" and is not a term normally used in regards to a temporary visa holder. You may therefore be confusing the mandatory requirements for reporting status changes.
Hello
Pls excuse the wrong use of the term. I used "landing" to mean entering Canada for the first time after getting approval for study permit from Indian Visa office. As per my understanding, the study permit is issued at the time of arrival.
Could you pls advise on my situation then. Thanks!

Jeenda

Star Member
Jun 14, 2016
My friend married a PR person after getting TRV but before entring the canada. No issues in coming canada. He even asked CIC and they also said no issues as long as your trv is valid for entering Canada.