+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to a Canadian- How to get sponsored?

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

So as confused as i was searching the net i found this forum and decided to ask you guys for help.

I have been in a relationship with a Canadian man from Quebec for a long time now and recently he proposed to me
I myself am dutch and i was born and raised in The Netherlands.

I want to know whether its possible for me to go to Canada and go with him whilst getting things sorted.
I understood that when i go there(i have been there before) Im allowed to stay there 6 months.
How can he sponsor me, where does he go what does it require and how long will it take?
And if it takes longer, can he do something to make me stay longer than 6 months?

As for citizenship, i understood we would be able to work on that after three years and it takes 24 months to be completed?

As you can tell im as confused as can be :p.

Thanks in advance

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
Fruityfull22 said:
Hello all,

So as confused as i was searching the net i found this forum and decided to ask you guys for help.

I have been in a relationship with a Canadian man from Quebec for a long time now and recently he proposed to me
I myself am dutch and i was born and raised in The Netherlands.

I want to know whether its possible for me to go to Canada and go with him whilst getting things sorted.
I understood that when i go there(i have been there before) Im allowed to stay there 6 months.
How can he sponsor me, where does he go what does it require and how long will it take?
And if it takes longer, can he do something to make me stay longer than 6 months?

As for citizenship, i understood we would be able to work on that after three years and it takes 24 months to be completed?

As you can tell im as confused as can be :p.

Thanks in advance
there is an inland and Outland application . Inland is where you stay in Canada whiles the process is on going. Outland is where you stay in holland . You can extend your stay once in Canada.

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So i can go to Quebec, get married to him, and then he can start the process of sponsoring?
How long will it take?

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
Fruityfull22 said:
So i can go to Quebec, get married to him, and then he can start the process of sponsoring?
How long will it take?
yes you can but I learnt inland takes longer than Outland applications . Click here and check out the processing times http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
And a link to read about inland and Outland http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t20666.0.html

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2014-t179207.0.html or that for 2004 inland applicant . There's a link for spreedsheet , click on it and you see how long it taking for them etc . Should you need more infor just type it into the search bar and am sure something will come up :)

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im very confused. I would like a more detailed reply.
Because im a little scared i overlook something and completely misunderstand the point.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
IMM5540 29-04-2014, Intent to return 18-08-2014, PCC 26-08-2014
File Transfer...
Same day as SA. 15-07-2014
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
9/24/2014(email)...same day IP
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Fruityfull22 said:
Im very confused. I would like a more detailed reply.
Because im a little scared i overlook something and completely misunderstand the point.
We all are confused at first. There's literally hundreds of topics related to what you should know about immigrating to Canada. It's time consuming to read and gather as much information as you can, but totally worth it. Try to ask specific questions at the top...there is a thread just for general questions like the ones you have asked. Leon and others can help you there.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
If you file inland, you must be in Canada with him. It is recommended that you do not leave Canada during the entire process, which should take 1-2 years. (One year is pretty optimistic.) If you leave Canada and for some reason are refused reentry, your application is considered abandoned. To file inland, you would enter as a visitor, and then you can apply online to extend your visitor status (should be submitted at least 30 days before your visitor status expires). I asked for and received a one-year extension, stating I wished to remain with my husband while my inland PR application was being processed. With the inland application, you may submit an OWP (open work permit application) which will be processed after stage one approval (sponsor approval, also called "AIP" - approval in principle). There's no way to know for sure how long stage one will take. Probably not less than 6 months, and probably not much more than a year, but CIC is pretty inconsistent. After you get the OWP, you may work. Also, in Québec, you are eligible for health care after AIP (you apply for your "carte de soleil" - health card, and then there is a three-month wait) AND free French classes. After AIP, the next step is stage two approval (also called DM - "decision made"), which could take just a few months, or another year.

If you file outland, you file EITHER from within Canada or from the Netherlands. You are free to travel, and if you should be denied entry to Canada at any point, it will not affect your application. When staying here with him, you would still need to keep your visitor status current. There is no OWP option associated with an outland application, and health care and French classes wouldn't be available until after you become a PR. Stage one approval takes around a month, and then the current processing time listed for the Vienna office states that 80% of applications are processed within 14 months after that. Looking at the dataset here: http://data.gc.ca/data/en/dataset/427337d0-7c36-4fed-8428-c6a63f8c19b3, the most recent detailed data CIC is making available (Oct 1, 2012, to Sept 30, 2013) shows that 20% of all family class spousal sponsorships were completed within five months, 50% were completed within 8 months, and 80% were completed within 13 months. If CIC requested an interview from you (which they'll do if they don't believe your relationship is genuine; put together a strong application with solid evidence showing your relationship is real and ongoing, and you should be able to avoid that), you would have to go to Vienna for the interview if you file outland.

It looks like the Vienna office is probably a bit faster than filing inland. It's possible, if you're one of the lucky ones, that it could be MUCH faster. If you plan to travel during the process, that likely makes outland a better choice. The OWP sounds like a huge benefit, but if you could get full PR in a year or 15 months, or you could get AIP and OWP after 10 or 11 months, then wait another indeterminate period of time (could be two or three months, could be 8 months or a year, could even happen at the same time as AIP - I got AIP and DM on the same day, but that's not the normal process) to become a PR, is that extra few months of working really worth it to you? Also, if you apply outland, you can "flagpole" (drive to any U.S. border and then come right back into Canada) to "land" i.e. officially become a PR) at any time after you receive your COPR (certificate of permanent residence). If you apply inland, after DM you must wait for the Montreal office to contact you to schedule a landing date. Montreal is not as slow as some of the other local CIC offices, but this still adds a couple of months to the end of the process.

(There's also some information I could give you about Québec's little "quirk," one extra step in the process for Québec applicants, but I don't want to add any additional confusion, as it's pretty much the same for either inland or outland applicants.)

(Also, please forgive spelling errors. I leave my spell check set to French, so it's of no use to me in English - too lazy to switch it back and forth constantly.)

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Also, I wanted to add, I know this is confusing with the wide ranges on timelines. Unfortunately, you're going to have to get used to a lot of uncertainty. CIC timelines range pretty wildly, with two nearly identical applications, submitted around the same time, often having a difference of months (sometimes many months) in processing times. There's no transparency to the system, so you often don't know what's happening with your app until AFTER it has happened (i.e. you'll know it's time to get DM because you'll get your "decision made" letter from them...after waiting months and months with no indication of whether or not anyone is even looking at your file). It's impossible to predict *exactly* what will happen. You can look at past trends - on this forum, some members generously give of their time to create and maintain spreadsheets to track applicants timelines, which you can find in various threads for specific types of apps, inland 2012, inland 2013, inland 2014, or there's probably a Vienna thread around here somewhere, I haven't looked.

The only thing you can do is go through the application documents very carefully to avoid errors or missing documentation, read on this forum to benefit from the experiences of others who have gone through this before you, and include good proof that your relationship is genuine (start now, saving electronic communications if you're apart, travel tickets/itineraries if you're going to see him or traveling together, merging your finances/administrative lives so you can show evidence of joint bank accounts, insurance accounts, etc).

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey quebecokie,

On the immagratiom website of quebec i found that they wont take any more sponsored people in untill january 2015 since they had 5000.

This is the message on the immigration quebec website;
NOTE On February 3, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced that it had already received 5000 duly completed sponsorship applications from a direct ascendant (parent, grandparent). Consequently, the Canadian government will not accept any new applications until January 2015. This suspension also applies to Québec residents.

Now im leaving to quebec soon and i have no idea what to do. Do i have to apply for permanent residency ? Is there really no other way? :'(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fruityfull22 said:
Hey quebecokie,

On the immagratiom website of quebec i found that they wont take any more sponsored people in untill january 2015 since they had 5000.

NOTE On February 3, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced that it had already received 5000 duly completed sponsorship applications from a direct ascendant (parent, grandparent). Consequently, the Canadian government will not accept any new applications until January 2015. This suspension also applies to Québec residents.

Now im leaving to quebec soon and i have no idea what to do. Do i have to apply for permanent residency ? Is there really no other way? :'(
That only pertains to parents that are being sponsored by their adult children. You will be applying for Spousal sponsorship.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Fruityfull22 said:
Hey quebecokie,

What you quoted here is only for parental sponsorship, meaning a PR or naturalized citizen in Canada can sponsor their parents from another country. That application cap is set to 5000 per year. You are talking about spousal sponsorship and there is not cap on that. You can apply for spousal sponsorship 24/7/365