+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married In Russia

firewithin6667

May 15, 2017
Hi Neil:

I don't think there is any problem to send a copy of passport information page. Just don't send your original passport to another country. Regarding marriage certificate, as far as I understand from the Canadian side of the story, your future wife can translate then notarize and authenticate it in Russia then probably send it to Canadian Embassy in Russia to legalize it then it can be used in Canada. I believe this process has to be in Russia, which she can do it right?
Thanks for your response. I didn't send my original passport, but our ZAGS did ask for a full copy of the passport (perhaps because they wanted to see the visa too, which is included in the copy). My girlfriend can do these processes you describe, but I didn't know it had to go through the same legalization through Russian foreign affairs and the Canadian Embassy. Would this take long, and would she have any problems mailing it? (I know sometimes customs are iffy about mailing marriage certificates)

ZWB

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your response. I didn't send my original passport, but our ZAGS did ask for a full copy of the passport (perhaps because they wanted to see the visa too, which is included in the copy). My girlfriend can do these processes you describe, but I didn't know it had to go through the same legalization through Russian foreign affairs and the Canadian Embassy. Would this take long, and would she have any problems mailing it? (I know sometimes customs are iffy about mailing marriage certificates)
I just checked the Canadian immigration website. On the document checklist for sponsoring spouse, it only requires original marriage certificate to be translated in English and notarized. So I guess no need for autnentification and legalization. Hope this helps.