Getting married in Ontario

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know this isn't strictly about immigration but it also is!

I am a UK citizen living in England. My fiance is Canadian (living in Canada).
We are engaged and wanted to get married in the UK. But due to stupid English wedding laws, it's impossible (you have to wait 28 days between getting marriage license and actually getting married and he can't take that much time off work)
But it doesn't work that way in Ontario right? I can just go over, get the license and get married the day after can't we? Also if we had married in England he would have to get a special 'marriage visa' with costs £87! It's so stupid.

Obviously i've looked and it seems we'll be ok in Ontario but just wanted to check.

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, you can get the marriage license in Ontario, and then get married that day if you want. It takes a while to get the marriage certificate - the government website says up to 10 weeks, though forum members have gotten it more quickly that that. You need the marriage certificate for the PR application.

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
Yes, you can get the marriage license in Ontario, and then get married that day if you want. It takes a while to get the marriage certificate - the government website says up to 10 weeks, though forum members have gotten it more quickly that that. You need the marriage certificate for the PR application.
Yeah that's what I thought. Thank you