+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in Canada with a Visitor Visa

Hasan2015

Star Member
Dec 19, 2015
Hi,

I have my boyfriend who is a Canadian PR. During his visa application he didn't show me as a common law partner because we didn't meet the criteria and we were living in two different places and time-to-time together (though we were in relationship at that time).

Now I want to go to Canada on visitor visa and get married there. Then I shall come back and try for a Family Class Sponsorship visa to get with him and start a fresh life there. I am worried that getting married in visitor visa can be a bit time consuming and lengthy process.

Questions I have are

1. How much time do we need to get marriage registered in Canada (lets say Ontario) - do we need any prerequisite documents to submit?
2. Do I need to stay as long as we get our marriage certificate? Or I can get it online or scanned copy is enough to show as proof?

Thanks from beforehand.

Hasan

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
In Ontario you just need to meet with the registrar and fill out a licence application , then a few days later you can marry. You will need your passport. I would suggest your partner make some enquirers and set the date before hand. After the marriage you apply for your marriage certificate ,order both the short and the long as CIC is a pain and have asked for both ..

As long as either of you haven't been married before its quite simple . If either of you have been divorced you will need proof and if you the applicant was divorced in another country you will need to get your divorce papers signed off by an Ontario lawyer.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
taffy7 said:
order both the short and the long as CIC is a pain and have asked for both ..
Is it required to send both with the application, or wait till they ask for the long one? (the license you mean, I assume).

We have both but will only be sending the certificate as per the instructions.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
the licence is what you get to get married then you get the certificate .. except on the Ontario marriage certificate it does say licence which confuses the heck out of CIC . So to be on the safe side if i had to do it again i would send the short form and the long form certificate .

ashishry

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
In Ontario you just need to meet with the registrar and fill out a licence application , then a few days later you can marry. You will need your passport. I would suggest your partner make some enquirers and set the date before hand. After the marriage you apply for your marriage certificate ,order both the short and the long as CIC is a pain and have asked for both ..

As long as either of you haven't been married before its quite simple . If either of you have been divorced you will need proof and if you the applicant was divorced in another country you will need to get your divorce papers signed off by an Ontario lawyer.

Hi,

I am a PR in Canada (Ontario). My Girlfriend is in India. She will be visiting Canada and we will be doing a civil marriage here. After the marriage I want to apply for her PR. meanwhile applying for PR, my lawyer told me that he would also apply for her Work permit and she can start working in Canada until her PR is approved.

My question is that, Is this scenario possible? And what precautions should I take before doing this?
Kindly reply.