+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married and becoming an international student - does that work?

inaina

Nov 3, 2009
Hello students and not students,
Here I am - another soul lost in this confusing Canadian immigration system :)
I have a few questions, that I wasn't able to find answers to, and hoping that some of you might know and be willing to share your knowledge.

So let's say, I marry my Canadian boyfriend and start an outland immigration process (inland is also on my mind, but I think I would prefer outland because it seems to be quicker), can I become an international student while it's being processed? Which means that I get a study permit, don't have to worry about having to leave the country and when I get my PR I could start paying for school as a resident of Canada - is that possible at all?
Or vice versa - if I become an international student first and then get married and start my immigration process, would I be breaking any law? And when I get my PR, could I start paying for my school as a canadian resident then?
Plus I'm not sure if I understand correctly: study permit only allows to work in-campus and you have to apply for out-campus work permit separately - is that right? Can you apply for it as soon as you become a student, or is there a certain time that you must wait?

I'll be grateful for any kind of information,
Thanks!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is perfectly acceptable to have a PR application pending while you are on a study permit. When you become a PR you will be eligible to pay resident tuition the following semester.