+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after EAPR before COPR

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
Hello everyone,

Need some help from somebody who has done the following, got married between eapr stage and copr stage.

Given everything with covid plans have changed and my girlfriend and I wish to get married. My PR application is still being processed, according to GCMS notes, eligibility is at review required by an immigration officer.

If we get married now what is the effect on my application?
1) does my crs score get recalculated?
2) does my girlfriend have to get an ECA or do an IELT?

One other note is that my girlfriend is currently exceeding her visa in our country now and we are worried this will effect her visa application. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Anybody who has gone through this process please let me know your experience.

All help is greatly appreciated.

LucasV0

Star Member
Sep 23, 2020
As far as I know, CRS score won't be recalculated after you submitted e-PR and received AOR.
You need to raise a web form to add your spouse. They will email you back with the list of required documents.
It will delay your processing time 2-5 months to verify your spouse profile, etc.
I have the same concern as you since I will get married by next Jan 2021. My AOR is Oct 5 2020.

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to write to this email address: CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

Please include in your email
:

• Your name,
  • Your client ID number,
  • Your application (file) number,
  • The name of the family member you wish to add to your application, and
  • Their relationship to you.
What happens next?

• The Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Ottawa, Ontario will write back by email or through your account. They will provide the instructions to follow in order to add the family member to your application.
  • Please note it may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

virani123

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to write to this email address: CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

Please include in your email
:

• Your name,
  • Your client ID number,
  • Your application (file) number,
  • The name of the family member you wish to add to your application, and
  • Their relationship to you.
What happens next?

• The Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Ottawa, Ontario will write back by email or through your account. They will provide the instructions to follow in order to add the family member to your application.
  • Please note it may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.
Hey. Thanks for this information. I am actually on the same boat as you. My PR is in process, i have already submitted eAPR and planning to get married probably end of this year.

I saw you have submitted a case enquiry to IRCC. I am just wondering do you have any further updates on this? Have you made sure that our CRS score won't be recalculated if we get married at this stage and would like to add our spouse in our PR application which is already in progress?

Plus is there any risk associated in this route? Or we should first wait for our PR first and then apply for spousal sponsorship which is a very lengthy process.

Your response will be really appreciated. Thank you.

Ali

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
Hey. Thanks for this information. I am actually on the same boat as you. My PR is in process, i have already submitted eAPR and planning to get married probably end of this year.

I saw you have submitted a case enquiry to IRCC. I am just wondering do you have any further updates on this? Have you made sure that our CRS score won't be recalculated if we get married at this stage and would like to add our spouse in our PR application which is already in progress?

Plus is there any risk associated in this route? Or we should first wait for our PR first and then apply for spousal sponsorship which is a very lengthy process.

Your response will be really appreciated. Thank you.

Ali
So I submitted a question to IRCC asking what will happen.

So far from all my research I have found that.

1) CRS will not be recalculated.
2) I can add my spouse to my application before landing

Only thing is I am worried that my application will be rejected and told to apply again as a married couple. Still waiting for a response

Reactions: dosanjh23

virani123

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020

Only thing is I am worried that my application will be rejected and told to apply again as a married couple. Still waiting for a response
Sorry but can you clarify, did IRCC gave you a heads up that your application might be rejected with this route? Like if you will be providing valid documents and if you can proof your marriage then why it will be rejected?

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018

There is no reason for them to reject your application if you are adding your spouse to the application. Many applicants go through this process so you need not worry.

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Hello everyone,

Need some help from somebody who has done the following, got married between eapr stage and copr stage.

Given everything with covid plans have changed and my girlfriend and I wish to get married. My PR application is still being processed, according to GCMS notes, eligibility is at review required by an immigration officer.

If we get married now what is the effect on my application?
1) does my crs score get recalculated?
2) does my girlfriend have to get an ECA or do an IELT?

One other note is that my girlfriend is currently exceeding her visa in our country now and we are worried this will effect her visa application. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Anybody who has gone through this process please let me know your experience.

All help is greatly appreciated.
To assess an application under section A11.2, a processing office must consider the information in an applicant’s profile at the time of the round of invitations and the information provided when the applicant submits their e-APR. After an e-APR is submitted, an application cannot be refused due to a change in circumstance unless

• the officer determines that the change occurred before the applicant submitted their e-APR and that the change would have caused the applicant to be refused under section A11.2: therefore, the application should be refused under section A11.2; or
  • the change in circumstance means the applicant no longer meets the minimum requirements of the program to which they are applying; therefore, the application may still meet the requirements of section A11.2 but can be refused for failing to meet program requirements.
For example, if an applicant marries before they submit their e-APR but informs IRCC of the marriage only after they submit their e-APR, the marriage can be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment.

If, however, an applicant marries after they submit their e-APR, then informs IRCC of the marriage, the marriage cannot be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment. However, the change in circumstance may affect whether the applicant still meets the program requirements

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

Arshdeep31

Aug 23, 2019
To assess an application under section A11.2, a processing office must consider the information in an applicant’s profile at the time of the round of invitations and the information provided when the applicant submits their e-APR. After an e-APR is submitted, an application cannot be refused due to a change in circumstance unless

• the officer determines that the change occurred before the applicant submitted their e-APR and that the change would have caused the applicant to be refused under section A11.2: therefore, the application should be refused under section A11.2; or
  • the change in circumstance means the applicant no longer meets the minimum requirements of the program to which they are applying; therefore, the application may still meet the requirements of section A11.2 but can be refused for failing to meet program requirements.
For example, if an applicant marries before they submit their e-APR but informs IRCC of the marriage only after they submit their e-APR, the marriage can be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment.

If, however, an applicant marries after they submit their e-APR, then informs IRCC of the marriage, the marriage cannot be taken into account as part of the section A11.2 assessment. However, the change in circumstance may affect whether the applicant still meets the program requirements

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
Suppose if a person get married after e-APR, then isn't this point gets violated because his points will drop now.

If we look at this point
- the change in circumstance means the applicant no longer meets the minimum requirements of the program to which they are applying; therefore, the application may still meet the requirements of section A11.2 but can be refused for failing to meet program requirements.

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Suppose if a person get married after e-APR, then isn't this point gets violated because his points will drop now.

If we look at this point
- the change in circumstance means the applicant no longer meets the minimum requirements of the program to which they are applying; therefore, the application may still meet the requirements of section A11.2 but can be refused for failing to meet program requirements.
Section A11.2 does not apply when an applicant adds a family member to their application after the e-APR; however, the family member will have to be assessed, and the principal applicant must provide IRCC with the Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406 (PDF, 570KB)] and pay the applicable fees online.

bhavinvmehta

Jan 1, 2021
I read the IRCC rule and want to further confirm on it:

Section A11.2 does not apply when an applicant adds a family member to their application after the e-APR; however, the family member will have to be assessed, and the principal applicant must provide IRCC with the Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406 (PDF, 570KB)] and pay the applicable fees online
Unquote

Does this mean that getting married after eAPR and adding spouse will not result in re-calculation of CRS.
Also, it is silent on whether spouse need to give IELTS and do ECA.

Please advise.

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
I read the IRCC rule and want to further confirm on it:

Section A11.2 does not apply when an applicant adds a family member to their application after the e-APR; however, the family member will have to be assessed, and the principal applicant must provide IRCC with the Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406 (PDF, 570KB)] and pay the applicable fees online
Unquote

Does this mean that getting married after eAPR and adding spouse will not result in re-calculation of CRS.
Also, it is silent on whether spouse need to give IELTS and do ECA.

Please advise.

The CRS won’t be recalculated and your spouse does not need to take IELTS and do ECA.

Reactions: bhavinvmehta