+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after copr and before landing

parth9999

Dec 26, 2017
Hello ,
I received my lading papers and passport steamed for PR in express entry FSW
However i get married after and then at a time of landing they dont allow me as my status has been changed

So now i have my immigration visa on my passport but i cannot land . I notify cic through email web portal available on cic web site
Should the allow me to include my wife and reopen the same application or what any idea what is next

As well as my work permit is going to expire after two months What to do now ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will provide instructions in order to assess your spouses' documents (medicals, PCC, marriage certificate, etc). Such documents will have to be assessed before receiving a new COPR.

You can always apply for a bridge open work permit before your work permit expires if you do not hear back from them.

Reactions: parth9999

parth9999

Dec 26, 2017
They will provide instructions in order to assess your spouses' documents (medicals, PCC, marriage certificate, etc). Such documents will have to be assessed before receiving a new COPR.

You can always apply for a bridge open work permit before your work permit expires if you do not hear back from them.
Thank you

Means i just wait to hear from them as in my gc key application has been approved so do they provide me link to update documents
as well as i am recently married and my wife has passport before marriage do i have to change name on passport or does only marriage certificate will work ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are different ways to upload documents, they will let you know.

Your wife does not have to change her name.

Reactions: parth9999

chatty

Sep 14, 2017
Hi there,
I will be kind of in similar situation soon i bet.

I need some guidance too if you may.
I am currently in US, working on F1 OPT.
I have my COPR, but i am getting married in India on 5th Feb.
My to be spouse is in Canada on her work permit.

My question is if should i go and do landing right away or not. If yes, then i would have landed single, and when i receive PR cards, i would be married. What would happen if this is true? Would i just need to sponsor her or can she apply for express entry on her own? OR would i still have to add her to my application?

If i do not do landing right now, how should i let people there know? What would the process look like? How much time would it take? IS this better?

The idea me and my to be spouse had was that we would stay a few months apart till i find myself a job in Canada. Only after that would i be able to sponsor her. Which means that she has to be in Canada and me in US even after marriage , at least for a few months.

Please provide some inputs for best solution and practice in legal terms.

Thanks

rajafaran

May 14, 2017

Hi,

I have a question on similar lines. I got my FSW PR visa as a single applicant but getting married in Jan 2018. I am flying in Feb 2018 to Canada.

Can I fly into Canada with my current visa and apply for family visa from there instead of reapplying for my visa? Should I declare at immigration counter that I am married?

Thanks in advance

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have a question on similar lines. I got my FSW PR visa as a single applicant but getting married in Jan 2018. I am flying in Feb 2018 to Canada.

Can I fly into Canada with my current visa and apply for family visa from there instead of reapplying for my visa? Should I declare at immigration counter that I am married?

Thanks in advance
Such information is in the letter you receive along with your COPR.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hello ,
I received my lading papers and passport steamed for PR in express entry FSW
However i get married after and then at a time of landing they dont allow me as my status has been changed

So now i have my immigration visa on my passport but i cannot land . I notify cic through email web portal available on cic web site
Should the allow me to include my wife and reopen the same application or what any idea what is next

As well as my work permit is going to expire after two months What to do now ?
I’m almost in the same boat, in Canada on a work permit, just got PPR email which is valid 30 days but I plan to marry outside of Canada in 6 weeks. If I get the CoPR now and travel out, marry and land, that’ll be a problem as you said right? So were you still able to come into Canada on your work permit?

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hi,

Thanks in advance
What did you end up doing? What worked and what didn’t legally? Please advice. I’m in the same boat.

Jad90

Mar 20, 2018
Hello,

Same question, I am currently waiting for a response to my invitation, so its a bit early. However, assuming i get approved (which i hope in October 2018), i have 1 year (if im correct) to do my landing. In this year, i may get married, but for now, im considered single. My partner has the canadian passport since she was born. Hence, If i marry after the approval and before my landing, would there be an issue if i get married, since she has the passport already, so I would not be really sponsoring anyone?

Also, i applied as if Im single, with no sponsorship.

Overall, given that my partner already has the canadian passport, is there an issue if we get married before my landing. and do my landing as normal?

Would appreciate any reply or help on this matter

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Hello,

Same question, I am currently waiting for a response to my invitation, so its a bit early. However, assuming i get approved (which i hope in October 2018), i have 1 year (if im correct) to do my landing. In this year, i may get married, but for now, im considered single. My partner has the canadian passport since she was born. Hence, If i marry after the approval and before my landing, would there be an issue if i get married, since she has the passport already, so I would not be really sponsoring anyone?

Overall, given that my partner already has the canadian passport, is there an issue if we get married before my landing. and do my landing as normal?

So regardless of whether or not you want to sponsor your partner, if you get married before landing, you cannot use that visa and CoPR for landing. You have to inform CIC about the change of your status and wait for their instructions before attempting to land. The first thing they will ask you is to return your stamped visa and CoPR to be canceled. They will then send you more instructions depending on your case. They will most probably need all documents for your spouse irrespective of her Canadian passport. When all new conditions are met, they will send you a new visa and CoPR.

P. S. Your marital status will be written in your CoPR and the instructions say that its only valid if all your information stays the same as when it was approved.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: iamxty

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

As your partner is already a Canadian citizen, there is no requirement to add her to your application as a dependent. However, it's a good idea to update IRCC on the status change. They may request an updated family information form. If they want to reissue a visa and/or COPR, they will tell you but I think it unlikely

If you did land as a PR after you are married, it would probably be sufficient to inform the CBSA officer handling the landing interview of the status change, as it doesn't impact your application. See IRPA Section 40.

40 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation

• (a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

Hi

Use the Webform to update IRCC. You do not need to return your visa/COPR. When you land, just inform the landing officer of the marriage and have a copy of your spouse's Canadian passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So regardless of whether or not you want to sponsor your partner, if you get married before landing, you cannot use that visa and CoPR for landing. You have to inform CIC about the change of your status and wait for their instructions before attempting to land. The first thing they will ask you is to return your stamped visa and CoPR to be canceled. They will then send you more instructions depending on your case. They will most probably need all documents for your spouse irrespective of her Canadian passport. When all new conditions are met, they will send you a new visa and CoPR.

P. S. Your marital status will be written in your CoPR and the instructions say that its only valid if all your information stays the same as when it was approved.

Hope that helps!
This is incorrect. As the spouse is a Canadian citizen, there is zero effect on the app and the visa/COPR do not need to be re-issued, nor does OP need to send all of the Canadian spouse's documents.