+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Canadian passport for baby born outland during process?

Trevlos21

Apr 1, 2022
We're living in the EU, my wife is sponsoring me for PR and applying outland. She's Canadian from birth, born in Canada.

We already have a dual national child (Canadian & EU) born in the same country.

Our second has just been born outland, waiting on the EU birth certificate at the moment, and I received news a month back that they're processing my PR application and I'm approved for pre-arrival services.

I'm assuming that I've got to tell the PR people, and also give proof that the Child is a Canadian citizen?

I've checked with the Canadian Embassy here, and the waiting list is 2 years for a citizenship cert which is needed before the passport. That happened to us before, with our first child, and we got a temporary passport expedited in about a month, but you need an plane ticket to Canada to get that- I checked again this time.

We obviously don't want to get a plane ticket until I get PR, but I'm wondering if PR will grind to a halt until I get proof of Canadian citizenship for our new-born?

Has anyone else had this issue and a solution to it? I was considering asking the PR people to write a letter requesting the embassy to expedite the passport, but not sure if that would work.

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I've checked with the Canadian Embassy here, and the waiting list is 2 years for a citizenship cert which is needed before the passport. That happened to us before, with our first child, and we got a temporary passport expedited in about a month, but you need an plane ticket to Canada to get that- I checked again this time.

We obviously don't want to get a plane ticket until I get PR, but I'm wondering if PR will grind to a halt until I get proof of Canadian citizenship for our new-born?
Contact the embassy/consulate and ask. My guess is they will not require an airline ticket given the circumstances (and if they do, reserve or buy one you can cancel).

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
You are supposed to show you have applied for the citizenship certificate but don't have to actually have it for the pr as far as I recall. Do apply asap because it will be a royal pain in the behind in Canada for your kiddo. We had issues with our daughter's health care because of delays in getting her citizenship certificate. Though, if you have a temporary passport that might be good enough

Reactions: armoured

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
We're living in the EU, my wife is sponsoring me for PR and applying outland. She's Canadian from birth, born in Canada.

We already have a dual national child (Canadian & EU) born in the same country.

Our second has just been born outland, waiting on the EU birth certificate at the moment, and I received news a month back that they're processing my PR application and I'm approved for pre-arrival services.

I'm assuming that I've got to tell the PR people, and also give proof that the Child is a Canadian citizen?

Has anyone else had this issue and a solution to it? I was considering asking the PR people to write a letter requesting the embassy to expedite the passport, but not sure if that would work.

Thanks
I don't know if you are aware, but most applications for citizenship certificates can now be done online.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html

This would presumably speed up the process significantly. You can also request urgent processing of the online application, however there is no guarantee that the request would be accommodated.
In the meantime, you could attempt to get a temporary passport, using proof that you have applied online for the certificate.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know if you are aware, but most applications for citizenship certificates can now be done online.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html

This would presumably speed up the process significantly. You can also request urgent processing of the online application, however there is no guarantee that the request would be accommodated.
In the meantime, you could attempt to get a temporary passport, using proof that you have applied online for the certificate.
This is good info but I really also suggest contacting the Canadian embassy/consulate nearest and finding out how / what they do; they may want you to submit the citizenship certificate together with passport app. The procedures change and what they do in each place can vary subtly (taking into account local issues and documents). Note, depends where - if USA, global affairs ottawa and pretty standardized procedure.

Main thing is find out in advance and collect the documents you'll need (mainly proof of citizenship of the parent and birth certificate, probably along with translation/notarized copy).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The PR process should not 'grind to a halt' but presumably the spouse being sponsored will want to travel with the newborn.

And while not directly linked to PR processing, the process for applicants when submitting the app requires that citizenship/PR information about any dependent children be included (if docs not available, at least copy of the application for citizenship certificate).

So I'd still suggest you look into the situation and get the citizenship cert/passport app in soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The PR process should not 'grind to a halt' but presumably the spouse being sponsored will want to travel with the newborn.

And while not directly linked to PR processing, the process for applicants when submitting the app requires that citizenship/PR information about any dependent children be included (if docs not available, at least copy of the application for citizenship certificate).

So I'd still suggest you look into the situation and get the citizenship cert/passport app in soon.
Yes a web form updating family status is needed but shouldn’t slow down processing given the child will be a Canadian citizen. As an EU citizen they can travel easily to Canada with the child. Without proof of citizenship healthcare may not be covered depending on the province so purchasing private emergency medical insurance may be needed @Trevlos21