getting canadian ID for temp worker

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
actonis said:
Thanks for the replay Leon.

Is there any manual I need to read before I take the written test.
By taking the written exam right away you mean like instantly at that moment? Don't they need to process the application, check your documents etc?
How much does it cost to get the exam?
After I pass this exam I will get learners driving Id. I assume after that I can apply for Full Calss 5 driving licence, (I have more then 2 years international driving experience). They will take some time (10 business days?) to process my application, and if approved I will be able to take road test.

With this learners ID I won't be able to drive? I still need to have my international driving licence.

Thanks
When I did this myself some years ago, they had to take my license and send it in to the AB government before I could be approved to take the road test early instead of waiting a year. I took the written test at the same time but you could also leave it until later. You don't need an approval to take the written exam. Everybody can do it. I was told that I would be notified when I would be cleared to take the road test but in the end, nobody notified me. I had to contact the registry again once I got tired of waiting, to find out that I was approved. Then I went and took the road test.

You should study the drivers handbook before you try the written exam. You can download it here as a PDF: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType45/Production/basichanbookmay08.pdf or get it as a book at any registry in AB.

A learners license would not allow you to drive alone. You would have to wait until after you pass the road test.

The written test costs around $20 to take and if you fail, you can take it again in a couple of days as many times as you need until you pass. However, to save money, you should study the manual so you can pass on the first try.

Here is the price listing of one registry: http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/pricing/ You want to look for Knowledge Test, Road test Class 5 and Operators license.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks a milion Leon for the links

Just quick clarification.
If I pass the written exam am I gonna get some kind of ID that I can have with me for identification if police or some other official stop me?
I want to get calss 5 driving licence but at the moment primarily I want to make sure I have some kind of ID with me as not to have problems with the officials?
Maybe the SIN card can do the trick?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The SIN card is not really an ID because it has no photo. If you really worry that police will stop you (never once happened to me in Canada), you should carry your passport until you get an ID. If you pass the written exam, you can get a learners license but it takes a while to make it, maybe a week or two. You might as well save your money and wait to be cleared for the road test and then get a full license right away.

Without having passed the written exam, you could apply for a simple ID card.