+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GETTING A VISA FOR SOMEONE TO COME FROM AFRICA - Is It Hopeless?

fatmamakombe

May 19, 2008
Hello all. The more I read on this site the more hopeless I am beginning to feel ... am hoping anyone with experience with getting a visa for someone from Africa can help me out ....

My fiancee (we are to be married in October) lives in Tanzania. I am Canadian. The distance is brutal (we all know that). Ultimately we are planning to apply for a spousal sponsorship for permanant residency (after the marriage) but seeing as that can take up to a year (or more) I was considering applying for a visitor's visa so that he could at least spend some time here with me in Canada (I have spent 2 months in Africa already this year and am going to go back for another 5 months in the Fall). Obviously this is impacting my work / career / finances and life... From what I am reading on this site, it is practically impossible to get a visitor's visa for an African (he has a menial job, he does own land but he is young - 27 - and has not travelled outside Tanzania ever, not much in his bank account etc.). When I speak to immigration, they are vague about his chances ("everyone is given rightful consideration") but I am beginning to think, by reading this forum, that his chances are slim to none. Is there anyone out there who has succesfully and / or unsuccesfully applied for a visitor or permanent resident visa for an African who can give me some details of their experience? It seems like there are so many unwritten rules to this game. How do people cope in relationships with so much distance and time ahead of them? What helps this visa process? What hinders it? Any words of wisdom from people who have been through it (or are going through it) would really help me out! Thanks!

hopeinfaith

Jul 9, 2008
Hi I am in simpler situation........ my fiancee is in Nigeria, I live in Canada, been here from the uk for 17yr and have PR status. He has a job offer to come here as a sales manager but they have put the LMO on file until the employer can advertise more extensively. I was thinking of trying to invite him here to Canada so he could apply for a visiting visa but after all I've read about how hard it is for a Nigerian to get any visa I've lost hope in doing this. The distance is killing us, I plan to go to Nigeria to visit him soon but that will be at the last resort and just so we can spend some time together. How easy is it to get him into Canada once we are married?, also does anyone know if it would easier for him to obtain a uk visiting visa?. I was hoping to get some advice and answers from this fourm.