+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a PR Card by landing with PRTD

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
Hello All,

I applied for PR last year and got my approval (COPR). However, I couldn't land because of pandemic issues.
Now, I am ready to land in Canada to get my PR card. When I talked with the CIC office, they told me that I should apply for a PRTD to come Canada, then I should let them know that I arrived. But I cannot get any other answer from them for my questions.

My questions are:

What is the exact procedure after landing in Canada with a PRTD? and how long does it take usually?
Is it an online application? Because I cannot understand why did Etobicoke CIC office told me that I should let them know that I arrived.
I was thinking that I complete all the required work in border at the airport. Is it wrong?
Is my first PR card going to be mailed to my address? or do I have to get it from somewhere in person?

Please give me a favor and share your opinions and experiences with me. I cannot find the answers anywhere.

Thank you so much in advance!

Have a great day

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I applied for PR last year and got my approval (COPR). However, I couldn't land because of pandemic issues.
Now, I am ready to land in Canada to get my PR card. When I talked with the CIC office, they told me that I should apply for a PRTD to come Canada, then I should let them know that I arrived. But I cannot get any other answer from them for my questions.

My questions are:

What is the exact procedure after landing in Canada with a PRTD? and how long does it take usually?
Is it an online application? Because I cannot understand why did Etobicoke CIC office told me that I should let them know that I arrived.
I was thinking that I complete all the required work in border at the airport. Is it wrong?
Is my first PR card going to be mailed to my address? or do I have to get it from somewhere in person?

Please give me a favor and share your opinions and experiences with me. I cannot find the answers anywhere.

Thank you so much in advance!

Have a great day
Your post is not clear. Until you actually landed and left Canada, you cannot apply PRTD to return to Canada. Alternatively, if you have US visa, you can go to a land border (example on foot) to sort out your confusion.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
I was living in Canada and applied for PR just before the pandemic. But I had to go back to my home country, and I was not in Canada when my PR application was approved. So talked with CIC and they send me this answer:

"Thank you kindly for the information. At this time, we will be reverting your status as a permanent resident until you are able to enter Canada. You are required to be in Canada in order for you to become a permanent resident. Once you are able to enter Canada, please inform us so that we can complete your permanent residency."

And now I am ready to go back to Canada and sent another email to CIC asking what I should do. So they sent me this:

"If you are still outside of Canada, please apply for PRTD to come back to Canada, as your COPR was reversed since you were outside of Canada. Please inform us when you return to Canada."

So according to these came from CIC, I assume that I am eligible to apply for PRTD. But my question is: What is the procedure of applying for a PR Card when I land in Canada. Can I do it at the airport? And do I have to be in Canada to wait for the new PR Card to be mailed to my address. Or can anyone else at the same address get my PR Card?

I hope I made it clear.

I have a US visa too. But I will have a limited time in Canada to complete my PR card application, so I want to make is with the fastest way possible.
Thank you.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
... But my question is: What is the procedure of applying for a PR Card when I land in Canada. Can I do it at the airport? And do I have to be in Canada to wait for the new PR Card to be mailed to my address. Or can anyone else at the same address get my PR Card?

Here you go, is this what you're asking? I understand your COPR was revoked.

Q. What is the procedure of applying for a PR Card when I land in Canada. Can I do it at the airport?

For regular port-of-entry process:
I am a new permanent resident. Do I need to apply for a PR Card?

If you are a new permanent resident, you will automatically receive your new card by mail when you first arrive in Canada. This is part of the immigration process and you do not need to apply for a PR Card. [Ref]

For virtual landing:
Once we review and accept the photo you submit (note that this may take some time), we’ll create your PR card within two weeks. We’ll send it to the mailing address in Canada you gave us. You can check to see if we’ve accepted your photo through the portal. [Ref]

Q. And do I have to be in Canada to wait for the new PR Card to be mailed to my address. Or can anyone else at the same address get my PR Card?

Nope, but you need a Canadian address to receive it. Your friend's address is fine so long as you trust him as it is an important document.

Last edited:

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
Oh thank you so much. So I just need to apply for PRTD and come to Canada as soon as possible so I can complete my PR status.