Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
Hi,

My husband is the sponsor and we applied Sponsorship PR December 2012. (Inside Canada)
They received application in Dec 2012 and started processing Jan 2013.

I graduated post-secondary in Canada and have 3 years Open work permit and it's expiring November 2013.
I'm working currently and concerned about the PR application status and my work permit too.

Can I apply for another Open Work Permit even though I didn't get any approval on Assessment of sponsor?
Or should I apply for Extend of my current status and wait for the PR approval?

Is there any way I can continue to work and obtain work permit to be safe?

Thanks

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (sent from Calgary)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
over_jj said:
Hi,

My husband is the sponsor and we applied Sponsorship PR December 2012. (Inside Canada)

I graduated post-secondary in Canada and have 3 years Open work permit and it's expiring November 2013.
I'm working currently and concerned about the PR application status and my work permit too.

Can I apply for another Open Work Permit even though I didn't get any approval on Assessment of sponsor?
Or should I apply for Extend of my current status and wait for the PR approval?

Is there any way I can continue to work and obtain work permit to be safe?

Thanks
Would "Extend your stay in Canada as a worker" IMM5710 help to extend my open work permit?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

You should have submitted an OWP app together with your inland PR app. CIC would have then processed it as soon as your sponsor was approved and issued the OWP to you. But you can still send it now.

That is the correct app. Make sure to leave the employer and LMO sections blank, as it will be an open permit. Include a separate explanation that you've applied for inland PR and didn't know you could include the OWP app with it as well and ask that the OWP app be processed upon sponsor approval. Also, across the top of the form, write something like "OWP for Inland PR Sponsorship app, UCI", just to make sure they understand. If they donn't match it with your PR app and simply process it as is, it will be rejected.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
over_jj said:
Hi,

Hi, just to confirm are you sure you applied using the INLAND process? That sounds like unbelievably quick processing for Inland (typical 6-8 months before they start).

Perhaps you meant to say you applied OUTLAND though the Manila office, but happen to be living in Canada now?

edit: actually i see you still haven't received sponsor approval yet, so yes that is definitely inland... so nevermind!

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

You should have submitted an OWP app together with your inland PR app. CIC would have then processed it as soon as your sponsor was approved and issued the OWP to you. But you can still send it now.

That is the correct app. Make sure to leave the employer and LMO sections blank, as it will be an open permit. Include a separate explanation that you've applied for inland PR and didn't know you could include the OWP app with it as well and ask that the OWP app be processed upon sponsor approval. Also, across the top of the form, write something like "OWP for Inland PR Sponsorship app, UCI", just to make sure they understand. If they donn't match it with your PR app and simply process it as is, it will be rejected.
Thank you very much for helpful info.

So I guess I should prepare
- IMM5556
- IMM5710
- Fee Receipt
Like it's shown on the page of "Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker"?
(Can't post link here.)

One more question.
What do you mean by "Ask that the OWP app be processed upon sponsor approval"?

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
Rob_TO said:
Hi, just to confirm are you sure you applied using the INLAND process? That sounds like unbelievably quick processing for Inland (typical 6-8 months before they start).

Perhaps you meant to say you applied OUTLAND though the Manila office, but happen to be living in Canada now?
I had a open work permit before I got married and before I applied for PR.

I didn't go through Canadian Experience Class. Now I think I should've gone through that path. :(

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
I have a similar case. I applied (PR in canada) for my wife in Jan., 2011 together with OWP. First stage was approved in Jan.2013 with the hope that 2nd stage will be approved soon according to the letter from CIC Etobicoke. Just 2 days ago, my wife called the 1800 number for the OWP but to my suprise the call center representative has no idea . We would like the OWP application fee to be refunded if CIC is not ready to grant OWP base on the application we submitted in Jan. 2011.

Anyone can advise no this.

Thanks,

POLICAP

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
over_jj said:
I had a open work permit before I got married and before I applied for PR.

I didn't go through Canadian Experience Class. Now I think I should've gone through that path. :(
Or what you should have done was applied family-class OUTLAND through Manila office. If you applied back in Dec 2012, with a straightforward application you could have (but not guaranteed) gotten your full PR well before your visa expires in November.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
over_jj said:
Thank you very much for helpful info.

So I guess I should prepare
- IMM5556
- IMM5710
- Fee Receipt
Like it's shown on the page of "Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker"
Correct, make sure to follow the guide.

over_jj said:
One more question.
What do you mean by "Ask that the OWP app be processed upon sponsor approval"?
You can't simply ask for and be granted an OWP, even if you already have one. OWPs and OWP extensions are only issued to certain people in certain circumstances. Look here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17. If you didn't have an inland PR app in process, you wouldn't qualify and an extension would be flat out rejected.

In your case, the OWP will be issued SOLELY based on the fact that you have submitted an inland sponsorship PR app. CIC needs to know so that they process your OWP once your sponsor has been approved; if they don't know that and just process it right away, as I said above, it would be rejected.

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
Rob_TO said:
Or what you should have done was applied family-class OUTLAND through Manila office. If you applied back in Dec 2012, with a straightforward application you could have (but not guaranteed) gotten your full PR well before your visa expires in November.
One of my friend applied Outland through Manila Office around Dec 2012 as well.
We'll see how that goes too.

over_jj

Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-03-2012
AOR Received.
Jan-17-2013
Med's Done....
Sep-10-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
In your case, the OWP will be issued SOLELY based on the fact that you have submitted an inland sponsorship PR app. CIC needs to know so that they process your OWP once your sponsor has been approved; if they don't know that and just process it right away, as I said above, it would be rejected.
Okay.
I'll work on it right away. We'll see how that goes.
Hope I get AIP and OWP before my current work permit expires so that I can continue to work with no issues.

Thanks again for your advice! :)