+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General Questions - Citizenship and steps after

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Members,

Please provide answers to the below questions:

Can i know from real experience, Average processing time for receiving the oath ceremony from the Test completion stage, for the application processing in Scarborough CIC office?
Once we appear for the Oath ceremony, will the Citizenship certificate will be mailed to our address, how long will this take?
Do we have to apply for Proof of Citizenship Certificate after appearing for OATH Ceremony? or not required?
I see the timelines for processing the Proof of Citizenship Certificate is 15 months(This seems to be too long)

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Dear Members,

Can i know from real experience, Average processing time for receiving the oath ceremony from the Test completion stage, for the application processing in Scarborough CIC office?
Once we appear for the Oath ceremony, will the Citizenship certificate will be mailed to our address, how long will this take?
Do we have to apply for Proof of Citizenship Certificate after appearing for OATH Ceremony? or not required?
I see the timelines for processing the Proof of Citizenship Certificate is 15 months(This seems to be too long)

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you

There is no standard processing time. As a ball park figure, assume it'll take between 3 and 5 months from the test validation date to receive an oath notification on the status dashboard in order to avoid disappointment. You can take a look at the spreadsheet (take a look at both 2020 and 2019 spreadsheet, links are in my signature) in order to see what the processing times are.

Yes and depending on where you live and the location of the office, it could take between 1 week and a month.

Do we have to apply for Proof of Citizenship Certificate after appearing for OATH Ceremony? or not required? I see the timelines for processing the Proof of Citizenship Certificate is 15 months(This seems to be too long)

Like I already have mentioned here, there is NO NEED to apply for proof of citizenship after attending oath. IRCC will automatically send a citizenship certificate to your residential address. For citizens who naturalize here, proof of citizenship should only be applied if their citizenship certificate is lost or stolen (or damaged).

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

There is no standard processing time. As a ball park figure, assume it'll take between 3 and 5 months from the test validation date to receive an oath notification on the status dashboard in order to avoid disappointment. You can take a look at the spreadsheet (take a look at both 2020 and 2019 spreadsheet, links are in my signature) in order to see what the processing times are.

Yes and depending on where you live and the location of the office, it could take between 1 week and a month.

Do we have to apply for Proof of Citizenship Certificate after appearing for OATH Ceremony? or not required? I see the timelines for processing the Proof of Citizenship Certificate is 15 months(This seems to be too long)

Like I already have mentioned here, there is NO NEED to apply for proof of citizenship after attending oath. IRCC will automatically send a citizenship certificate to your residential address. For citizens who naturalize here, proof of citizenship should only be applied if their citizenship certificate is lost or stolen (or damaged).
Thank you Rajkamal

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One more question - Does Oath ceremony can be allowed to take outside Canada, is IRCC approving such requests, just like Citizenship test,

can you please share your thoughts? or any active threads..

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
One more question - Does Oath ceremony can be allowed to take outside Canada, is IRCC approving such requests, just like Citizenship test,

can you please share your thoughts? or any active threads..
No, you have to be in Canada to take oath.

Read the instructions on the IRCC website :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
The oath letter also explicitly mentions you have to be physically present in Canada for oath.

Reactions: bellaluna

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you have to be in Canada to take oath.

Read the instructions on the IRCC website :

The oath letter also explicitly mentions you have to be physically present in Canada for oath.
That's right, I'm aware of the current process, but have not heard that IRCC approving about cases, taking oath outside of Canada, so just curious to know if I'm in that situation of being outside while oath invitation is received and how to handle it.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That's right, I'm aware of the current process, but have not heard that IRCC approving about cases, taking oath outside of Canada, so just curious to know if I'm in that situation of being outside while oath invitation is received and how to handle it.
It would be extremely cumbersome if IRCC were to allow applicants to take oath outside Canada because at the end of the ceremony, you'll have to cut your PR card. You can't come back to Canada without a Canadian passport and to apply for a Canadian passport, you'll need the original citizenship certificate. Because of all these problems, it is unlikely IRCC will allow applicants to take oath outside Canada.

However, it might change in the future. When you receive the oath letter, follow the instructions on it.

Here's the content in my oath invitation =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/contents-of-the-oath-ceremony-letter-received-via-email-and-discussion.741117/

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be extremely cumbersome if IRCC were to allow applicants to take oath outside Canada because at the end of the ceremony, you'll have to cut your PR card. You can't come back to Canada without a Canadian passport and to apply for a Canadian passport, you'll need the original citizenship certificate. Because of all these problems, it is unlikely IRCC will allow applicants to take oath outside Canada.

However, it might change in the future. When you receive the oath letter, follow the instructions on it.

Here's the content in my oath invitation =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/contents-of-the-oath-ceremony-letter-received-via-email-and-discussion.741117/
Right, the PR will no longer be valid, and we need to destroy it during the Oath, but the Citizenship can be mailed to Canadian Address which may be friends or relatives address, but can we apply for passport outside Canada in Consulate/Embassy, while collecting the Citizenship certificate mailed to friends/acquaintances address and they shipping to our local address.
I'm just trying to know what all the possibilities and options available.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Right, the PR will no longer be valid, and we need to destroy it during the Oath, but the Citizenship can be mailed to Canadian Address which may be friends or relatives address, but can we apply for passport outside Canada in Consulate/Embassy, while collecting the Citizenship certificate mailed to friends/acquaintances address and they shipping to our local address.
I'm just trying to know what all the possibilities and options available.
Well, IRCC won't assume (I guess) that everyone will have this option of mailing it to a Canadian address and their friends/family can mail it to the foreign address. That is the reason why at least at this time, they have provided no way to take oath outside Canada. If it changes in the future, you'll see an update in the link I provided and you'll also find information about it in the oath invite email.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: satya10

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
This is what it says with regard to the Oath Ceremony while outside Canada on IRCC website:
"If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.
In your email
  • put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html

I am wondering why this option of contacting exists now - to change the date of the Oath Ceremony? But it was also possible to ask for a date change before. So it might be there for a reason. I did my test outside Canada. Passports could be issued by Canadian Embassy / Consulate, perhaps the Certificates as well, or they could be emailed or downloaded from the IRCC account. I haven't found anyone who did a Ceremony outside but maybe they are working on it.

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
Hi e
Dear Members,

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you

I only could say that in 5 weeks after I did my Test, I received a Request Letter to mail the colourful copies of all of the travel documents. The location is the Scarborough office. I understood that you are currently outside Canada. May I ask if you have also received such a request? And how you dealt with it from outside Canada?