+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General advice wanted please

Torvickie

Jan 7, 2012
Hi, I'm hoping I can get some advice. I've been reading these forums for a long time and everyone seems so helpful.

I recently married my US boyfriend. He is up here with me right now, but he does have a residence in FL. When he came up he didn't have a passport. Now we want to start the sponsorship process.

Reading the application for sponsoring my husband while inside Canada, the website seems to say that it's okay for us to apply even though he is doesn't currently have a passport.

But on the application, it says that if we don't include all the documents required (a passport is one of them), they will return the entire application package to us.

Can anyone clarify this?

I've heard that it's better to apply from outside, but I'm confused about how that affects his ability to be here with me.

Also - we want to go down to FL and get his passport, but I'm worried that if we try to come back home afterwards, they might bar him from entering Canada once they learn he's my husband.

He went to the US embassy in Toronto and they wouldn't give him a passport because he has no legal status in Canada. So I tried to extend his visitor status, but I couldn't because he doesn't have a stamped passport.

I feel like we're in the middle of a giant catch-22 every way we turn.

We've been thinking about getting an immigration consultant to help unravel what we should do. But other than not having a passport, there are no stumbling blocks anywhere. Neither of us has been married before and we have no criminal records or anything that would stop the application otherwise.

Thanks for any words of wisdom that you might have.

sahm2boys

Star Member
Aug 9, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2012
LANDED..........
05-04-2012
How did he get into Canada without a passport? I thought you needed to have one to cross the border now. Perhaps that's something he should get before you start the process... ?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1. Get his passport and apply Outland, NOT Inland. There are few to no advantages to an American or other visa-exempt persons applying Inland with a straightforward case.

2. As he is visa-exempt he may remain in Canada as a visitor for up to 6 months at a time. If his processing extends past that time, apply for an extension 30 days before his status expires.

3. You really don't need a consultant, you need his passport.

Torvickie

Jan 7, 2012
Thank you, I do agree that he needs to get the passport.

But I'm concerned that if we go down to the states together and try to come back together that the Canadian border won't let him in, knowing that he's my husband.

Any thoughts on this?

mittens

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
how did he get into canada without his passport?

i suggest that you get someone down in florida to courier his passport to you up in canada
simples

Torvickie

Jan 7, 2012
He had his birth certificate and drivers license. We came over by car. They gave him a bit of a hassle, but they did let him in.

His mom couriered his passport up to him and it got stopped at the border, and then disappeared. He's never even seen it. When last we talked to the US passport people, they told him that he had to apply all over again.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I suggest he apply for the new passport, then. If he thought he had a hassle getting into Canada without his passport, wait until he tries getting back into the US without it!

As for him not being let back in, he just needs to be prepared.
1) Remember, he's "visiting", not "moving". He can't move until he has PR, so make sure you don't use that word to Canadian border officials.
2) Start the application process, at the very least pay all the fees, and have your copy of the receipt handy. This demonstrates that you fully intend to do things the correct way.
3) Leave the kitchen sink at home in the US, make sure he only has what he needs for an extended visit, and has some proof of his ties remaining to the US, such as a copy of his apartment lease and any other obligations in the US.
4) Have proof of sufficient funds for his support handy (bank statement).
5) If you're with him, YOU do the talking.

shiftpro

Star Member
Nov 21, 2010
Nelson, BC
Visa Office......
Sao PAulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-11
VISA ISSUED...
October '11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LANDED..........
December 16, 2011
Uggh...
I wish I caught this earlier I would have said DO NOT send by courier!
They list what they carry and as you now know they told Canada Customs so they stole it.
They do this to discourage illegals...
Best is to send regular mail, anyway too late for that now.

If you have not yet decided on a resolve, and if you live near western Canada send me a personal message
for more ideas.