+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCKey VS IRCC Portal

abc12345xyz

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
- Can someone please advise what's the difference between applying through GCKey and through IRCC portal?
- Is the processing time the same?
- I heard on GCKey one must submit a lot of documents, whereas IRCC portal is simple version? Is it true?
- I also heard one doesn't have to provide siblings information through IRCC portal for visit visa? Is this true?

Thank you.

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
- Can someone please advise what's the difference between applying through GCKey and through IRCC portal?
Difference is interface, information needed and few options. Like in IRCC portal things are simpler and easier but limited options to add documents. In GCKey, you can add as much documents as you like. In IRCC portal you have to mention US visa number. etc etc.
Yes, same.
- I heard on GCKey one must submit a lot of documents, whereas IRCC portal is simple version? Is it true?
Yes, somehow true.
- I also heard one doesn't have to provide siblings information through IRCC portal for visit visa? Is this true?
Yes, true.

In my opinion, Go for IRCC portal unless you have complex case and want to upload tons of papers.

abc12345xyz

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
@albloshi_sa thank you very much for your detailed information. You mentioned in "IRCC portal you have to mention US visa number". So, if one doesn't have a US visa then he can't apply under IRCC portal?

kimmytrang

May 22, 2020
Difference is interface, information needed and few options. Like in IRCC portal things are simpler and easier but limited options to add documents. In GCKey, you can add as much documents as you like. In IRCC portal you have to mention US visa number. etc etc.
Yes, same.
Yes, somehow true.
Yes, true.

In my opinion, Go for IRCC portal unless you have complex case and want to upload tons of papers.
Hi, I have a question regarding the question 3. Yes I also found the ircc portal requires less documents to be submitted. However, I'm wondering if we are not required to submit some docs then how could they clarify the information we fill in the portal such as proof of income, marriage certificate, birth certificate? Will they get back to us to ask for more docs after receiving our ircc portal application?
One of my friends used the portal but she still compressed all the docs into a file and upload into additional documents (optional docs). I know this is to be safe and right way to do but is it necessary? I'm wondering this in the perspective of a person doesn't have much docs to submit or missing a doc such as marriage certificate. If it is really simple like that then those who couldn't find much proof of assets or income for example, will benefit from portal than the gckey, isn't it?

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
Hi, I have a question regarding the question 3. Yes I also found the ircc portal requires less documents to be submitted. However, I'm wondering if we are not required to submit some docs then how could they clarify the information we fill in the portal such as proof of income, marriage certificate, birth certificate? Will they get back to us to ask for more docs after receiving our ircc portal application?
One of my friends used the portal but she still compressed all the docs into a file and upload into additional documents (optional docs). I know this is to be safe and right way to do but is it necessary? I'm wondering this in the perspective of a person doesn't have much docs to submit or missing a doc such as marriage certificate. If it is really simple like that then those who couldn't find much proof of assets or income for example, will benefit from portal than the gckey, isn't it?
You can add all those documents in 1 pdf and attach it to "Additional Documents" option. But the maximum allowed is 2MB, so you need to compress the files to make them 2MB max.

nav_dhamu

Jun 13, 2021
Thank you for initiating this thread. Is anyone aware of Chinook here? We heard that the new portal is directly linked to Chinook hence giving out more refusals. On the other hand, GC Key applications are going to a human officer. Thoughts?