05-05-2011
Passport Req..
08-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-19-2011
LANDED..........
09-25-2011
rjessome said:
There is a non-profit, volunteer organization in Canada to help same-sex couples with questions about immigration. I know one of the people who runs it and he's awesome.

You've gotten good advice here. It's also nice to see if there is other help available to you.

legit.ca/
I was actually going to post about legit, too. Myself and the other Mrs. Wolfe used legit (she actually worked with one of the founders of the group, who is really awesome!) and got a lot of GREAT advice about the process.

Buffy2323

Dec 16, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
AOR Received.
01-03-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
31-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13-09-2013; Visa Received 21-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Okay, I am back and I am looking for more answers. I got so frustrated with the process and swamped with trying to deal with my legal separation that I haven't visited for awhile. I have some updates and if anyone is still out there with answers that would be great.

First, I am now legally separated from my husband and we have a separation agreement in place. The divorce will be final a year from our official date of July 15th. YAY!! Unfortunately, my girlfriend is still living with her ex though they are barely talking. They still have a joint bank account and have even refinanced their house together due to financial hardships. When they refinanced it they DID file as single instead of as a couple and her ex is starting to talk to other girls and I believe will probably start dating soon. I know that will be a huge plus. In the meantime, I have moved to Pennsylvania to be closer to her (we are now only a 7 hour drive away from one another). My son is with me while my daughter is staying with her father. Unlike the last time I posted I have since talked to my ex and he has agreed (and even signed an agreement) stating that he is willing to financially support me for up to 18 months if I choose to move in with my girlfriend. And he knows that I would be taking my son to Canada and is not contesting it. Here are my questions now.

1) Since I am still only legally separated and my gf is still living with her ex, what is the best route to take? Should I go ahead and move there and wait until the divorce is final and then we will have our year common-law and can file right away OR should I wait until the divorce is final? We can live okay in Canada with the money my ex will provide me but he has only agreed to 18 months. If I can't work until my PR comes through and it goes over 18 months we will have significant financial hardship past that 18 months if I can't get a job.

2) If I decide to move there now how would that work registering my son for school? We can't technically apply until next July and if I'm only allowed in for 6 months at a time how can I enroll my son in school?

3) I have been visiting my gf regularly (at least once a month) and I've involved my children as well. I have lots of pictures, still collecting information for our proof of our relationship. I haven't opened the joint bank account yet but hope to have the money to do that soon. Any other tips to help with the proof? We are both so distraught and it gets harder every time we leave each other to be apart. We need this as soon as possible or we're gonna lose our minds!!

4) The last time I read these boards several months ago I noticed that they were talking about changing the requirements for the PR. Has anything changed? I thought I read that when you apply I would be able to get a job until it comes through? That is still our biggest obstacle, the financial part of it. If I could work while we apply it would make this a whole lot easier.

Sorry to ask some of these things here but I am living with my parents until I can decide what to do and their internet access is TERRIBLE!! I can't get any threads to load so it's tough to get any information.

Anyone who can help I would greatly appreciate it!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Buffy2323 said:
1) Since I am still only legally separated and my gf is still living with her ex, what is the best route to take? Should I go ahead and move there and wait until the divorce is final and then we will have our year common-law and can file right away OR should I wait until the divorce is final?
Since you two are feeling very upset about being apart, I would suggest moving up now if you can get that to work. You can apply as soon as you get married, but having a year of cohabitation will help prove your relationship is genuine, which is going to be hard for you I think. It will also give your girlfriend and your son a chance to develop a very close bond.
2) If I decide to move there now how would that work registering my son for school? We can't technically apply until next July and if I'm only allowed in for 6 months at a time how can I enroll my son in school?
How old is he? You will have to get him a study permit, and may have to pay international fees for him to go to school. People on this forum have had varied experiences with trying to get their kids into school before the PR visa. Try searching for the threads about that.
3) I have been visiting my gf regularly (at least once a month) and I've involved my children as well. I have lots of pictures, still collecting information for our proof of our relationship. I haven't opened the joint bank account yet but hope to have the money to do that soon.
Good. Just keep documenting your visits, your relationship, and the relationship your girlfriend is developing with your children.
4) The last time I read these boards several months ago I noticed that they were talking about changing the requirements for the PR. Has anything changed? I thought I read that when you apply I would be able to get a job until it comes through? That is still our biggest obstacle, the financial part of it. If I could work while we apply it would make this a whole lot easier.
You can only get a job if you have a work permit, which you can get if you apply inland. However, applying outland for an American is almost always faster than applying inland. If you can find an employer to sponsor you, you can also work, but that is a difficult process.

Buffy2323

Dec 16, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
AOR Received.
01-03-2013
File Transfer...
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
31-01-2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13-09-2013; Visa Received 21-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Once again, thank you Canadianwoman. Right now I think my son is the biggest obstacle but it seems every day the problems shift in importance. My son LOVES my gf, he is always talking about her. They have met several times and have already bonded well and I know they will only continue to do so. I just really need to talk to my ex and see what he would agree to. I am having zero luck finding a job here in Pennsylvania but at least with the support my ex is giving me it is helping me to survive. I will get the support for 10 years if I don't co-habitate with anyone but if I do he has agreed to give me that extra 18 months because of the foreign sponsorship problem. I just wish there was a way she could come here to live with me and be sponsored. Unfortunately the whole issue in the US is no sponsorship of gay couples. It is much more affordable to live here and the cost of living where I am is very low. Since my gf can do pretty much anything it would be easy for her to get a job here. BUT, that isn't an option. I swear I just want to cry. Why does it have to be so darn hard????

If anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. In the meantime, I will check out the idea of allowing my son to be able to get an education in Canada.