+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds while landing

threshold

May 6, 2009
I have received PR visa and is doing preparations to make landing. I am single with no dependants.

Is it sufficient if i carry $5000 as cash and a bank statement (from a nationalized bank in India)showing fixed deposits of $10,000 ?

tonyelbatal

Star Member
Jul 31, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting question. I would like to know the same. I was planning to carry around 5000$ total in cash (me and my Spouse) and show them a local bank statement that I have around 15000$. Is this sufficient? (P.S. we're still waiting for the medical tests, but this question comes to mind!)

honeyborn

Jul 2, 2009
Showing them bank statement of your local bank will not do. You have to carry that amount with you in the form of an instrument (demand draft).

Regards

duggalca

Star Member
Jun 18, 2009
It is no where stated that you need to carry the required fund with you when you are entering Canada, you can even enter with 5000$, but of you carry amount more than a specified amount ie 20000$ (not completely sure) then you need to fill a specific form.In any other case the immigration officer just asked from you that how much money you are carrying with ie all.

tonyelbatal

Star Member
Jul 31, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied as Quebec Skilled Worker. Two relatives are already in Canada, one of them took 3000$ as cash money and they didn't ask for anything on the Canadian gates when landing. As for proof of funds (before immigrating), she sent them bank statement only (by mail). But as duggalca said, if you take more than 10.000CAD in cash, you have to tell an officer there once u arrive and fill a specific form. Check this link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Similar question was asked not too long ago.
here's the answer I gave:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/documents-required-at-the-time-of-landing-in-canada-t22312.0.html;msg130095#msg130095

1. Do I have to bring a bank draft to show the amount I am bringing to Canada or is the bank statement from a US bank enough?
No, you do not need to bring a bank draft if you don't want to. You just have to have a bank statement showing the total funds that they require you to have. So, if you want, you can carry some cash and have the balance on a bank statement. Just make sure the total is what is required. As for the cash, they just ask you how much cash; they do not count it nor do they even see it!

2. Also, you mentioned they asked for Bank statement / proof of funds. Did you get the statement in some specific format from your bank or did you print them out from the online account?
Both. We had the one bank statement which the bank sends normally. We were lucky it came a few days or so before we landed. Also, we had a printout from the internet for another bank account.

3. How many months of bank statements did you carry?
It's not the number of bank statements that matters. It's the total funds and cash that is important. We had cash in X amount and then 2 bank statements all totaling over the required $12K. Also, it was the current month's statement. We landed May 31, so the statements were from May.

The bottom line is that you can carry a mixture of cash and bank statements as long as the total amount is what you are required to have, whether it is $20K or $12K.

At the border crossing / airport, you will be asked how much cash u are carrying and also for bank statement or draft totaling the amount you are required to have.

If you carry more that $10K in cash, you will have to fill another form and declare it. Now, why would anyone want to carry that much cash at one time!

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i also have one question. is it ok to have the funds in a local bank and take it's statement with you? or we have to have an account with a branch in canada and we need the funds in CAD and not in Rupees or any other currency except CAD?

sushid0c

Star Member
Oct 25, 2007
sanjeevindia said:
i also have one question. is it ok to have the funds in a local bank and take it's statement with you? or we have to have an account with a branch in canada and we need the funds in CAD and not in Rupees or any other currency except CAD?

hi...
i too have the same doubt.
anybody has any idea.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
You can have an account with any bank in India having a branch in Canada or any Canadian bank having a branch in India, but the most important thing is the bank statement with the total available funds and a letter from the bank with CAD converted currency value for those funds.

Max

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
max_lee said:
You can have an account with any bank in India having a branch in Canada or any Canadian bank having a branch in India, but the most important thing is the bank statement with the total available funds and a letter from the bank with CAD converted currency value for those funds.

Max
thnx for info. one more thing if u don't mind. do u have any info about indian banks having branches in canada. i think SBI and ICICI, but not sure. if u can tell?

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi,

SBI, ICICI, CITIBANK(1 Branch) & Centurion bank of Punjab(1 NRI Services branch) is available in Canada.

Royal Bank of Canada & Bank of Nova Scotia are canadian banks having branches in India.

Hope this helps

Max

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
max_lee said:
Hi,

SBI, ICICI, CITIBANK(1 Branch) & Centurion bank of Punjab(1 NRI Services branch) is available in Canada.

Royal Bank of Canada & Bank of Nova Scotia are canadian banks having branches in India.

Hope this helps

Max
it really does. thanks