+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW PR living in QC

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Hello,

I know a similar question has been asked but can't find it, and I have a couple more.
So, here it goes.

1. Landed FSW in Ontario, Ottawa can he move to QC (specifically Gatineau)?
I know there is all this Selection Certificate you have to have, but don't know if it's true
I mean the visa is federal, but I know there are limitations.
And I am sure nobody upon renting will ask you for this certificate (maybe they will)

2. If living in QC can you apply for provincial health insurance (the similar to OHIP in ON) being a FSW without that certificate?

3. When paying taxes will there be any problems not having that certificate?

4. If at some point the FSW decides to work in QC does he need some special work authorization to work in QC?

In other words what interests me is what are the limitations a FSW PR holder have in living/working in QC?

Thank you very much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Canada charter of rights and freedoms says that as a PR, you may live and work in any province of Canada. It doesn't say any province except Quebec.

However, I have never lived in Quebec so I do not know. I suggest you ask Quebec immigration. You can contact them here: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/reach/telephone.html

If you look at Quebec health at http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoyens/assurancemaladie/arriver/autre_prov.shtml it says that PR's moving to Quebec from another province need to province a selection certificate "in most cases". You can also phone them and ask them what they mean by "most cases".

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've lived in Quebec for nine months and then moved to Ontario. Here are my answers for you...

1.- The CSQ (Certificat du Selection de Quebec) is just a paper to access to some Provincial Resources and that indicates you made your paper through the Province. Those resources are mostly french classes and something like that. nothing like Health, Taxes, etc. You can go and live in Gatineau. My advice for you would be the Aylmer Sector that is more "anglophone" than the rest. Definitively not the Gatineau Sector itself. Very, very quebecois. You'll want to avoid it if your french is not that good.

2.- Yes, of course you can apply for the Assurance Maladie

3.- No problem at all... They will be happy to take your money no questions asked.

4.- No. Just your Social Insurance Number. But don;t expect too much form the job market on the french side.

Again, the only limitation I think you may have is the one regarding French language classes but as Leon said, you may want to ask them... in French SVP!

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
thezieglers said:
I've lived in Quebec for nine months and then moved to Ontario. Here are my answers for you...

1.- The CSQ (Certificat du Selection de Quebec) is just a paper to access to some Provincial Resources and that indicates you made your paper through the Province. Those resources are mostly french classes and something like that. nothing like Health, Taxes, etc. You can go and live in Gatineau. My advice for you would be the Aylmer Sector that is more "anglophone" than the rest. Definitively not the Gatineau Sector itself. Very, very quebecois. You'll want to avoid it if your french is not that good.

2.- Yes, of course you can apply for the Assurance Maladie

3.- No problem at all... They will be happy to take your money no questions asked.

4.- No. Just your Social Insurance Number. But don;t expect too much form the job market on the french side.

Again, the only limitation I think you may have is the one regarding French language classes but as Leon said, you may want to ask them... in French SVP!
Thanks a lot for your answers.
The reason I was looking at Gatineau was cheaper houses/cheaper auto insurance. But of course you have the higher income tax and other things.
In the end I don't know if it's worth the hassle, since I don't have kids (which seems to be the strong point of moving to QC side).