+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From the US to Canada

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Dear Members and Experts:

I am wanting to ask a question. At the port of entry to canada in the airport, I am a US CITIZEN holding a US Passport. And I just don't know and worry that planning on going in to canada and staying with my wife without a job but with enough fundings and applying the in-canada spousal sponsorship, that they have the right to refuse me entry at the port of entry. Basically, I am concern about what to tell the immigration officer at the port of entry window (again a US CITIZEN). When i go th Canada, I would've been married already. From what it sounds like I almost gather that as long as you are a us citizen, you already get 6 months without any hardship.......... But they do, I remember, ask you at the window what's the purpose of your trip and how long you are staying. Thats why i don't know how to answer and how to not be in trouble. don't want that to effect my PR applications as well.

Can anyone give me an idea what to expect and what i should do?

FiReSTaRT

Sep 29, 2007
I'd just say personal visit and leave it at that. As a US citizen, they won't scrutinize you too closely and you would be disclosing as much of the truth as they need to hear.

Edit:
Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:
citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Republic of Korea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa;

This is straight from the CIC website, so you don't really need to give them any other reason.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I suggest you have a better response than "personal visit." Just because you are from the U.S. doesn't mean they have to let you in.

I am also a U.S. citizen and told the immigration official in Vancouver that I was here for "tourism," which was true.

She replied, (quote) "Why don't you start over and tell me what you're going to be doing while you're here?"

So .. at least have your story ready.

FiReSTaRT

Sep 29, 2007
Preparing a story may not be such a bad idea even though technically they shouldn't be too nosey about why you're going to Canada as long as you're a US citizen in good standing (clean record and no charges pending).