+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From PR to Citizen:

SHENK

Jan 6, 2010
I am still a bot confused about this.

For minor children: So I would sponsor them to PR status and as soon as they get that, we can apply for their citizenship?

1. If the age is locked in for the PR application, will it start over once they get the PR? (Example: So if one is 17 at time of application and that age is locked in. He gets PR but now he is 18. Will be then be considered 18 when he applies for citizenship? )

2. How long does it take for a minor to go from PR to citiizen? I understand they do not need to be in Canada 3 years before, but does anyone know how long it takes?

Thank you.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the CIC website:

To apply for citizenship for a child under 18, make sure the following conditions are met:

* the person applying is the child’s parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian
* the child is a permanent resident, but does not need to have lived in Canada for three years and
* one parent is already a Canadian citizen or is applying to become a citizen at the same time. This also applies to adoptive parents.

You can find the application itself here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As Karlshammar quoted, you have to be a citizen or be applying to become a citizen at the same time.

If a family lands as PR and at least one of the parents stays 3 in 4 years and applies for citizenship, they can include all their children under 18 on their application, even if the children have not stayed 3 in 4 years. The children still need to be PR though so they must have stayed in Canada at least enough to keep their PR. They need to be under 18 at the time of the citizenship application. If they are already 18 at the time their parent applies, they will need to meet the requirements of adults, that is fulfill their 3 in 4 years and take a citizenship test.

The average time for a citizenship application is around 1 year to 15 months.

SHENK

Jan 6, 2010
Thank you very much for the replies!

That clears things up tremendously.

It gets very complicated and then it gets hard to see the forrest for the trees.