+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From England-how long to get a live in caregiver visa? Can i be in Canada?

ElenaW

Jun 4, 2013
I have been living in Canada for the past 2 years on an IEC visa. This is the international experience visa. As a British citizen, I can only have two 1 year visas so this is no longer an option. i am now living back in England.

I am desperate to go back to Canada so am looking into the live in caregiver visa. I have 6 years of experience caring for children.

How long does the whole process take for me to get the visa? From the site, i got the idea it was about a year and a half! Surely that can't be right?! As the employer has to wait that long too?

While my application is being processed, can i stay in Canada as a tourist?

Thank you for your help!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Processing times are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp

Sure - you can stay in Canada as a tourist while your application is being processed. It sounds like you have already been working as a live-in caregiver for a specific family. While you are staying in Canada as a tourist, make sure you don't live with them or care for the child at all (even if it's on a volunteer basis). Caring for the child unpaid while in Canada as a tourist will still be classified as working. Working is obviously illegal and could create problems for your work permit application. (Not saying you're planning on doing any of this. Just warning you so that you don't create issues for yourself.)

ElenaW

Jun 4, 2013
That's great. Thank you so much for your help. I must have been looking at the wrong processing times!

Just some questions about being in Canada as a tourist while my live in caregiver visa is being processed. (No, i won't be working!) By the way, I was working as a live in caregiver before but not on a live in caregiver permit.
Could I be called back for an interview in my home country, yet i'm a tourist in Canada?
Will being a tourist in Canada effect my application?
If I can be in Canada while my application is being processed, once I get my work permit approved, can i just cross a border (i.e the US border) and come back in, with my permit being granted?

Thank you for your help