+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelancing illegal? Can I still stay back after quit job(WorkPermit)

maylow

Jul 17, 2007
Is freelancing in the country while you yourself in the country is illegal?

If I got a work permit, and it last 1 year, but I quit the job 4 months later,
does the company have to pay tax for me to government?
can I still stay here until the work permit expired?

Please help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

maylow said:
Is freelancing in the country while you yourself in the country is illegal?

If I got a work permit, and it last 1 year, but I quit the job 4 months later,
does the company have to pay tax for me to government?
can I still stay here until the work permit expired?

Please help.
1, Yes, freelancing is illegal.
2. You pay the tax from your salary when you are working.
3. A work permit is just a visitor permit with permission to work. YOu can remain as visitor to the validity of the work permit, but you cannot work without an new LMO>

PMM

maylow

Jul 17, 2007
Thank you PMM,

So weird, how can freelancing illegal.

Anyhow, you said New LMO. Do you mean by, if I got a new job in other company, I have to apply a new work permit (different company name)?

I heard some news recently, about a guy who work in a company(ABC) for 1 year, and then he wanted to continue, so, he apply again for work permit with a letter from ABC company, but, he got refused by the immigration.

Is it very hard to renew your work permit? < thats my question. ..I know it depends, but, general speaking?

Thank you again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hI

maylow said:
Thank you PMM,

So weird, how can freelancing illegal.

Anyhow, you said New LMO. Do you mean by, if I got a new job in other company, I have to apply a new work permit (different company name)?

I heard some news recently, about a guy who work in a company(ABC) for 1 year, and then he wanted to continue, so, he apply again for work permit with a letter from ABC company, but, he got refused by the immigration.

Is it very hard to renew your work permit? < thats my question. ..I know it depends, but, general speaking?

Thank you again.
If you were offered a new job, the employer must apply for a new LMO and get it approved before you can apply for a new work permit. If you are on a BUNAC/SWAP work permit, can't be extended. Others, if the employer can prove that there are no Canadians or PRs are available for the work is easier.

PMM

maylow

Jul 17, 2007
Thank you for helping out. :)

How many years of working in canada with work permit, in order to qualify for PR application?
Some websites states 6 months, some mention 1 year, and some mention 2 years. How long exactly? (For IT worker)

Is the process correct?
Me > Immigration. (IT work permit)
Company > LMO > Company > Immigration (Through LMO)

Can I apply work permit, meanwhile, the company apply throught LMO? (I mean apply both way in a same time)

To apply throught the lawyer, is it higher chance getting the work permit? Or they just help out for the documents?

Thank you again.

P/S: sorry, too many questions jumping around my head.