+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelancer from USA to Move to Montreal

rbenn1055

Jan 18, 2019
I've read a bunch of the threads here where I'm not sure that they reflect my situation.

I am from New York with a business there where I earn more than enough per month to cover my expenses in Montreal, QC. I have an interest in living in montreal maybe to open an Art Gallery in a year or so otherwise I will be self studying computer programming on my own.

I would like to rent a place here and I'd be traveling back and forth to new york for about 10 days per month for about a year or two. I'm happy to apply for whatever visa's etc.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to visit montreal that frequently or what class should I apply for.

Also not against getting a programming job in montreal but preferably I'd like to freelance. Also would pay taxes in montreal if thats what it boils down to.

How could this work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not quite as simple as it seems. To be able to live in Canada and freelance in Canada you will have to get PR. If you want to visit Montreal for 6 months that would likely be possible.

rbenn1055

Jan 18, 2019
Ok so how should I go about it since technically I don't need to work here in Montreal and I would be guaranteed leaving the country atleast 1 time per month.

Most of the information I see says from USA you can stay in Montreal for up to 6 months per visit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are planning on leaving every month it gets more complicated because you have to go through CBSA. At some point they my not let you back into Canada if they feel like you are living in Canada and not a visitor. It is still unclear whether you are trying to move to Canada on a permanent basis or just planning on visiting. It is quite hard to get a work permit because employers have to both pay an application fee and have to show that no Canadian wants to do the job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've read a bunch of the threads here where I'm not sure that they reflect my situation.

I am from New York with a business there where I earn more than enough per month to cover my expenses in Montreal, QC. I have an interest in living in montreal maybe to open an Art Gallery in a year or so otherwise I will be self studying computer programming on my own.

I would like to rent a place here and I'd be traveling back and forth to new york for about 10 days per month for about a year or two. I'm happy to apply for whatever visa's etc.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to visit montreal that frequently or what class should I apply for.

Also not against getting a programming job in montreal but preferably I'd like to freelance. Also would pay taxes in montreal if thats what it boils down to.

How could this work?
There is no temporary visa that will allow you do this and guarantee you entry into Canada and free travel between Canada and the US.

The only real option if you want to be able to travel between the two countries freely and be able to live in Canada is to become a permanent resident. I would recommend you research the Quebec Skilled Worker immigration program to see what it takes to apply.

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/permanent-workers/requirements-programs/index.html

rbenn1055

Jan 18, 2019
Ok thats understandable. Well I'm looking into applying as self employed canadian immigrant. I'm hoping that could work?

The miminum score is 35. Does anyone know about this ?