+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Franchise - Is it the right business to make big money?

CanadaHomeV

Jun 2, 2011
Hi All,

I'm a Canadian citizen and not a new arrival to Canada (but my wife is....). We're moving to Vancouver (after few years abroad) where I'm thinking of buying a franchise such as MIDAS, or Tim Hortons... As you can see, no specific category in my mind but just one goal: Generating the biggest net income possible! Only 1 problem: Have no clue about franchises! I've been Manager for over 15 years and I think would qualify for most of the franchises, but just starting my researches. Have a lot of questions that I hope someone could help me with:

Do you recommend buying an existing franchise and how to check the figures announced by the seller/franchisor such as Normalized revenues, EBITDA/SDE?

Which franchise would you recommend for a great net result?

Thanks.

ScottK

May 4, 2011
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful about choosing a franchise solely on the income you expect to make from it. Owning a business is hard work and it will be difficult to get through the lean times if you don't have a passion for what you are doing. Having said that, owning a franchise can be an excellent choice for the right person.

You'll want to pay special attention to your return on investment (ROI). Some of the smaller franchise opportunities offer no more return that a regular salary for the owner. Being in business is risky. If you are going to make an investment it makes sense that you should earn a good return on that investment to compensate you for the risk you are taking. It doesn't make sense to just get an average salary out of your business when you could just take a job, make no investment, and lower your risk.

Buying an existing franchise location could be a good idea but you have to do the same level of due diligence that you would do when purchasing any business. I have a post on my blog about the some of the specifics that should be considered. Click through to the site in my signature and click on the blog tab to read the post.

CanadaHomeV

Jun 2, 2011
Thanks a lot. This has been very helpful. I read your post as well and it gives excellent guidance. I've been doing a lot of reading lately about franchises and talked to many professionals (lawyers, auditors...) and I know that I'll have to do a lot of investigations with the help of some professionals also to make sure that I know where I'm going and what risks I'll be taking.

I'm trying to stay away from types of franchises that we can find at every corner, and I'm searching more for the kind of franchises with the less competition possible. Not found yet...

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
CanadaHomeV said:
Thanks a lot. This has been very helpful. I read your post as well and it gives excellent guidance. I've been doing a lot of reading lately about franchises and talked to many professionals (lawyers, auditors...) and I know that I'll have to do a lot of investigations with the help of some professionals also to make sure that I know where I'm going and what risks I'll be taking.

I'm trying to stay away from types of franchises that we can find at every corner, and I'm searching more for the kind of franchises with the less competition possible. Not found yet...
What about subway , pizza hut , kfc etc.
They got good ROI ?

dcpaley

Jun 28, 2010
Ontario Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to look at each one on a case-by-case basis. There would be no standard rule.

If you're interested in a few, make some inquiries ask some questions, get an information package and hire an accountant to help you decide.

winbxy

Oct 4, 2012
As i know franchise like Tim Horton or second cup is hard to get but subway or even Nutrition House might be a good way to invest, as the invest requirement are less restricted....also you could go to Canada Franchise Association CFA for more idea about open a franchisee store. Good Luck for your future business! :)

RomelBorja

Oct 31, 2012
few points i would like to share with you:
1. Don't enter into a franchise that you are not familiar with or don't have any idea, the good thing about franchising is; it is already a well known or popular brand but it is very risky.
2. You said you are Canadian? i think you have some NGO's or establishments that deals or aids their people in getting a franchise.
3. You need to make feasibility studies, demographic, etc.
4. Don't expect to get ROI in a year time.
you need to study these as well; Capital, Royalty, distributorship etc.
I for one is looking for something i can start with.

Mary32

Mar 5, 2013
Well buying an existing business franchise is good instead of establishing a new business form start because already existing business have great market reputation and name. So that there will no hard working for awareness of your business and it will be a successful and profitable business for you.

AngryBirds

Feb 20, 2013
Well, when most of these franchisee businesses when they started were small...started growing bigger and bigger...they started using the franchisee model to spread their brand and revenue...when you start something with your genuine idea and passion, and if you have the willingness to do hard work while being vigilant about the operations too...nothing can stop your success. Franchisee model has worked for many, but they come at a cost.