+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Former Permanent Resident Applying For Student Visa

samhaq

Jan 22, 2014
Hello Everyone!

I have recently received rejection on my application for travel document for not meeting the residency obligation although I applied solely on H&C grounds. Anyways, since I have already been admitted in Masters of Entrepreneurship, Business and Technology program at the University of Waterloo I am about to apply for a student visa, although I have some burning questions:
1. When applying for student visa, you have to give enough evidence that you will be returning back to your country after your studies. Since, I had already showed by intentions for restating my PR status, would that affect my application for student visa?
2. I am currently employed in a subsidiary of Honda Company. Before that I was in GlaxoSmithKline, but now I am desirous of leaving my current job and working full time on my business plan(in my program of study, eligibility for scholarship would be judged on a students business plan). So the question is, does being employed strengthen your student visa application?
3. Lastly, the immigration officer returned my landing document, expired PR card and my health card with the rejection letter. I believe these are property of the Canadian Government, should I return those with my visa application?

BTW I am applying from Pakistan.

Your opinions would be great help. Thanks!

dok

Apr 20, 2014
In fact as Regina said, you stand at no chance. Why couldn't you fulfil your PR requirements! You clearly know this, but you decided to overlook them. The fact that they even just rejected application for travel document complicates your situation. Now, you won't be able to convince them that you will come back to your country after your studies and even they can't trust you again. They will be sure that you're using your education as a means of entering and staying in Canada.

I will advise you apply to study in a different country, if you really want to study. Why ONLY Canada!!! The program you want can be found in several universities in the World: USA, GERMANY, CHINA, UK, JAPAN, SINGAPORE, AUSTRALIA, SOUTH AFRICA, HONG KONG, SOUTH KOREA, SWEDEN, FINLAND, the list goes on. Please take the opportunity elsewhere!! Good luck!

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Were you the principal applicant or a co-applicant while you applied for PR? Mine was a similar situation. My dad applied and got PR in 2004. I was a co-applicant. We landed there and came back after a month. Now after 9 years, I applied for a student visa. I got a call from New Delhi and was asked about my earlier PR status. I was asked to relinquish the same and then was given the student visa.

May be you could have applied for a student visa directly telling that you were not interested in reinstating your PR status. Because once we lose our PR status due to not fulfilling the residency obligation, it is easier to apply afresh rather than reinstating.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
hellolondon said:
Were you the principal applicant or a co-applicant while you applied for PR? Mine was a similar situation. My dad applied and got PR in 2004. I was a co-applicant. We landed there and came back after a month. Now after 9 years, I applied for a student visa. I got a call from New Delhi and was asked about my earlier PR status. I was asked to relinquish the same and then was given the student visa.

May be you could have applied for a student visa directly telling that you were not interested in reinstating your PR status. Because once we lose our PR status due to not fulfilling the residency obligation, it is easier to apply afresh rather than reinstating.
May be Samhaq should have done so before as you did. It would have been better. But now his situation is complicated. All the best!!

samhaq

Jan 22, 2014
Thank you for your replies, we got our PR in 1992 when I was one year old, I couldnt go back because I was removed as a minor, I did mention this in my application that I have been granted admission in UoW, that is the only reason I wish to return, lets see what happens...

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am just wondering, guys. WHY do not you tell THE WHOLE story? You want an advice but do not tell the details!?!?!?!?
Do we all have to read your minds? :eek:

WHERE in your FIRST post did you say THIS :
we got our PR in 1992 when I was one year old
I hope you are an adult now ? Then you should understand that for evaluating the situation it was an important detail!!!!

samhaq

Jan 22, 2014
Regina said:
I am just wondering, guys. WHY do not you tell THE WHOLE story? You want an advice but do not tell the details!?!?!?!?
Do we all have to read your minds? :eek:

WHERE in your FIRST post did you say THIS : I hope you are an adult now ? Then you should understand that for evaluating the situation it was an important detail!!!!
Sorry Regina ???, I am just wondering, would they consider the circumstances in which I was removed from Canada while evaluating my Student Visa Application?

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
It is such a pitiable situation that you tried to reinstate your PR which was obviously not possible and ruined your chances of getting a student visa. I think you tried doing it yourself without the help of an immigration lawyer in which case, he/she would have clearly told that it is next to impossible, unless you meet certain conditions which do not seem applicable in your case

I don't know if there is any hope at all. How are you going to prove to the VO that you will come back after your studies? Probably you should include in your SOP that you tried to reinstate your PR solely because you wanted be considered as a domestic student which means that you will saving a lot on your tution fee. But for that, you do not have any intentions of continuing there. Hire an immigration lawyer who is also an ICCRC member and let him/her represent you.

Good luck !

dok

Apr 20, 2014
samhaq said:
Thank you for your replies, we got our PR in 1992 when I was one year old, I couldnt go back because I was removed as a minor, I did mention this in my application that I have been granted admission in UoW, that is the only reason I wish to return, lets see what happens...
Your message might probably be not complete as you just released another info. If you need help then come out clearly. If you were 1 yead old then your case might be different because you were not even in the position to determine whether you wanted this or not. And how come as a one year old, your parents/principle applicant never took you to Canada? I guess you should've been a citizen now if you had maintained your PR status, because you should be 22 or 23 years now. If you never went to Canada or went but return within a short period, it means you've been leaving outside Canada or without any link to Canada for more than 18 years.

So now where is the principle applicant and what's their current status in Canada? Why did you decide not to at least spend some of your time in Canada (which you now consider they have better education)? Or did you just decide to re-instate your PR status just to benefit from domestic tuition or avoid the hurdles with applying for Study Permit or you just changed your mind to live permamnently in Canada?

Samhaq, your case is lacking substance and very complicated. It is however vague. Unless you come out clearly with the whole story, I don't think anyone here can help. Or probably get a lawyer as it was recommended before, explain your whole story and they shall advise you if you've to apply for study permit or again try to re-instate your PR. GOOD LUCK!

yags

May 3, 2014
hey guys
i applied for my visa in march for business marketing for may intake
i got 64% in 10th, 58% in 12th and 7 bands overall in ielts
it got rejected with the reason dat your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of your qualifications,previous studies,employment,level of establishment,language abilities,or your future prospects or plans
i had commerce in 12th wich is same for business
i am again applying for september intake with the same case
just the college has been changed bt the course is same
there is no financial problem and dis gym as it is going to be applied under general, i can show property also
is there any lack in my profile that i got a rejection?
if yes please help me as it is needed

what are my chances this time???

please reply and help me guys coz I'm in deep tension

samhaq

Jan 22, 2014
Alright guys so here is my complete case...the only reason I applied for University of Waterloo is because I am interested in entrepreneurship, I have my mind bent on creating a successful technological startup. The Waterloo Kitchener region is nowadays famous for its startup culture. They are calling it to be the silicon valley of north. Moreover, around three people in my immediate family have graduated from the same university so you might say I have got a family connection. Their Master in Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology program is one of a kind. I was unable to find such a program in a well-known american university. Now as part of the program, you have to create your own startup. Here is where the idea of reinstating my PR status seemed viable. Moreover, a number of people told me to avail this opportunity. So my plan A was Travel Document and my plan B was Student visa. I had absolutely no idea that I would have to pay such a price for my TD application. I hadnt been in canada for the past six years. Last time I was there I was 16 years old. People told me that I could apply on H&C grounds. I told the truth in my application. I told the officer why my family had to return and why I am planning to renter. But he/she decided that I didnt meet the requirements therefore ended my PR status. Last year I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I already have experience of working in two multinational companies. So, its not like I am one of those parasites who want to travel to canada only for welfare cheques. If Canadian govt. decides to reject my application, I would try my luck in the real silicon valley. And trust me, when all is said and done, it would be their loss, not mine :)

samhaq

Jan 22, 2014
I became a Permanent Resident when I was 1, didnt stay in Canada for a long enough time, had our PR cards given to us in 2004, my family returned to Pakistan in 2008 because of my father's employment and my aunts health. I was dependent on my parents back then so I had to return as well. Started my higher studies in Pakistan. Didnt return back to canada. In fact, had no intentions of going back unitl I discovered this MBET program in UoW.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
samhaq said:
Alright guys so here is my complete case...the only reason I applied for University of Waterloo is because I am interested in entrepreneurship, I have my mind bent on creating a successful technological startup. The Waterloo Kitchener region is nowadays famous for its startup culture. They are calling it to be the silicon valley of north. Moreover, around three people in my immediate family have graduated from the same university so you might say I have got a family connection. Their Master in Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology program is one of a kind. I was unable to find such a program in a well-known american university. Now as part of the program, you have to create your own startup. Here is where the idea of reinstating my PR status seemed viable. Moreover, a number of people told me to avail this opportunity. So my plan A was Travel Document and my plan B was Student visa. I had absolutely no idea that I would have to pay such a price for my TD application. I hadnt been in canada for the past six years. Last time I was there I was 16 years old. People told me that I could apply on H&C grounds. I told the truth in my application. I told the officer why my family had to return and why I am planning to renter. But he/she decided that I didnt meet the requirements therefore ended my PR status. Last year I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I already have experience of working in two multinational companies. So, its not like I am one of those parasites who want to travel to canada only for welfare cheques. If Canadian govt. decides to reject my application, I would try my luck in the real silicon valley. And trust me, when all is said and done, it would be their loss, not mine :)
Your information is still completely vague. In applying to re-instate your PR you proved that you've the intention to stay permanently in Canada which contradicts the rules for issuing study permit. You've many things to gain from studying in Canada, just like your immedite family. I will advise that you hire a lawyer from Canada familiar with such cases to help you out.

And trust me: never think that it'll be detrimental to Canada if you're refused again. Canada has been very welcoming to international students/other nationals just like you. You'll unequivocally loss. Do your best and get the right person to represent you or try applying for the study permit and add SOP to explain everything to the VISA OFFICER. GOOD LUCK!