+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to specify latest job on last visa application – what now?

bobcat42

Jul 19, 2013
My wife has an open work permit thanks to my studies in Canada. A few months after she began working using that work permit, we applied to renew her visa. That application asked to list her employment history.

Problem is – we somehow forgot to include her latest Canadian job on that application (stupid buffoons!). So her employment history was outdated when we submitted it (it is however correct up to the latest date that it covers). Somehow that application went through even though the form asks to not leave any gaps in the employment history. I guess it wasn't that important in her case.

We have no motive to lie about her work experience – it shouldn't affect her eligibility for work permits or visas either way. Her work is part time, unskilled, legal.

So... what should we do about this? We're now applying for an extension of her work permit (this time based on my PGWP & skilled job). We will obviously add her latest job to employment history this time, but should we do anything else?

I guess one option is to add a clarification letter amounting to "Sorry, I forgot to add my latest job last time I applied for a visa. I've fixed it now, and here is a letter from the employer as proof of that job", but I'm not sure if explicitly drawing attention to our mistake is a good idea or not.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! If you've made a similar mistake yourself, please share your experience.

Recommendations for appropriate panic level are also accepted.

Thanks.