+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to Include Education details on the Citizenship application

grapehair

Jan 14, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I submitted my online application a few days ago. I forgot to include an educational detail. I am appearing for my dental license exams and taking some classes and paid tuition fee for that, at an institute (registered institute but not a university or college). Please note that the preparation course is just that, a preparatory course and it won't lead to getting a degree or diploma of any kind. However, I feel this detail should have been included on the application. I was fully employed during that time (was working full time in the morning/afternoon - 8am to 4pm - and then in the evening after work, attended the preparatory courses). Now my question is, how do I update my application. Do i need to use a webform in order to update the application or should i withdraw it completely and submit a new application?

Any input is much appreciated.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I submitted my online application a few days ago. I forgot to include an educational detail. I am appearing for my dental license exams and taking some classes and paid tuition fee for that, at an institute (registered institute but not a university or college). Please note that the preparation course is just that, a preparatory course and it won't lead to getting a degree or diploma of any kind. However, I feel this detail should have been included on the application. I was fully employed during that time (was working full time in the morning/afternoon - 8am to 4pm - and then in the evening after work, attended the preparatory courses). Now my question is, how do I update my application. Do i need to use a webform in order to update the application or should i withdraw it completely and submit a new application?

Any input is much appreciated.
You don't have to AFAIK. Your primary activity during the said period was your full-time job. As long as that activity covers the period and there are otherwise no gaps in your history, you should be fine IMO.

There is no need to withdraw the application.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
You don't have to AFAIK. Your primary activity during the said period was your full-time job. As long as that activity covers the period and there are otherwise no gaps in your history, you should be fine IMO.

If I understand correctly, you don't have to include anything you did on the side? I was a full time student and for a few weeks I gave out flyers, so do I need to mention that?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If I understand correctly, you don't have to include anything you did on the side? I was a full time student and for a few weeks I gave out flyers, so do I need to mention that?
I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

A scenario where you will mention 2 activities would be if you were working 2 part time jobs at the same time (8 AM to 1 PM and 2 PM to 7PM regularly, for example). In that case, it warrants disclosing both jobs because both those jobs were your 'primary activities'. A full time job is a primary activity and if you were studying something on the side, then I don't think that is of any importance to be declared. I was doing some certification courses on the side while being employed full time in Canada but never mentioned all those 'side-pursuits'.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

A scenario where you will mention 2 activities would be if you were working 2 part time jobs at the same time (8 AM to 1 PM and 2 PM to 7PM regularly, for example). In that case, it warrants disclosing both jobs because both those jobs were your 'primary activities'. A full time job is a primary activity and if you were studying something on the side, then I don't think that is of any importance to be declared. I was doing some certification courses on the side while being employed full time in Canada but never mentioned all those 'side-pursuits'.
But they wouldn't have any access to check your courses. In my case, I was a full time student and "worked" few hours a week for like 3-4 weeks. They will probably be able to check this information when I do the tax section. I might have missed that but where does it say primary activity?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
But they wouldn't have any access to check your courses. In my case, I was a full time student and "worked" few hours a week for like 3-4 weeks. They will probably be able to check this information when I do the tax section. I might have missed that but where does it say primary activity?
It doesn't say 'primary activity' anywhere on the form. I am classifying them as such.

If you see the need, go ahead and update. I've provided my opinion that that is all it is, an opinion. Whether you want to update or not is up to you.

As long as there are no gaps between activities, the information you've provided should suffice IMO.

But feel free to update them using a webform if you feel the need to do so.

grapehair

Jan 14, 2017

Thank a lot for the reply. I did file the taxes for the tuition I paid, so i'm thinking to most likely submit a webform just to indicate that i'm trying to not hide any activity at all, thereby not raising any eyebrows whatsoever. You're correct that this may not have any impact on the application especially if the purpose of having a gapless period of activities submission is to calculate and verify that all requirements for citizenship are being met.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thank a lot for the reply. I did file the taxes for the tuition I paid, so i'm thinking to most likely submit a webform just to indicate that i'm trying to not hide any activity at all, thereby raising any eyebrows whatsoever. You're correct that this may not have any impact on the application especially if the purpose of having a gapless period of activities submission is to calculate and verify that all requirements for citizenship are being met.
Thank you!
I'm just asking because I am getting everything ready for my application ans just wanted an opinion from someone who has applied and successfully received their citizenship.

Reactions: grapehair

chikaloo

Nov 13, 2018
Thank a lot for the reply. I did file the taxes for the tuition I paid, so i'm thinking to most likely submit a webform just to indicate that i'm trying to not hide any activity at all, thereby not raising any eyebrows whatsoever. You're correct that this may not have any impact on the application especially if the purpose of having a gapless period of activities submission is to calculate and verify that all requirements for citizenship are being met.

hi! May I ask how did you explain not adding the preparatory courses to your application initially? Thanks!