+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Worker Re Entering Canada from Vacation

extreme9ph

May 13, 2014
May 14, 2014
HI, Im a foreign worker going on vacation next week, May 19 - June 15. My work permit and Visa will both expire on Dec 2014.

There were rumores that some foreign workers whoi were on vacation were no longer allowed to Enter Canada in Vancouver.

Am I good to go for a vacation without worrying being denied of entry?

tclinton

Mar 17, 2014
I also would like to know this...So if I go to the States or the UK for example, would you have to bring your work permit with you, to show on the border once you re enter again.

Man415

Jul 25, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2014
AOR Received.
10-02-2014
Med's Request
10-02-14
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Passport Req..
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
I got a friend just came back yesterday and she were able to come back.I haven't had a chat with her yet but she confirmed that they are holding twp in the office and ask several questions so expect that it won't be the usual entry that will happen.

I would suggest bring all the documents that wold prove your validity of work here as they are dealing with all TWP on food services and some affected occupations and not where you came from.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
At any rate you should be carrying your work permit along - even when this issue was not there. Yes, in the current situation it is better to have full documents along (preferably some thing showing your NOC and duties - as well as a recent pay stub, which basically is proof that you are still employed and continuing work on your wp.

These are just additional precautions because one is likely to be questioned a bit than usual.

syrust

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
no
extreme9ph said:
May 14, 2014
HI, Im a foreign worker going on vacation next week, May 19 - June 15. My work permit and Visa will both expire on Dec 2014.

There were rumores that some foreign workers whoi were on vacation were no longer allowed to Enter Canada in Vancouver.

why take a risk of 6 months, I have a friend he was asked so many questions and there was total chance of him not getting back.
but luckily employer had his lmo ready for him (Pre-approved), thats how he was able to come in again, he had a valid work permit for around 3 months more.

rexxall

Oct 22, 2011
Just got back a week ago from my 2months vacation... I work for Mcdonald's; the main protagonist on the moratorium on TFWP and ESDC review on the program. At the immigration booth I turned over my work permit and passport to the CBSA officer, passport got stamped, signed and was let in without a single question asked.

stories of TFW's being sent back home at the port of entry are just being overblown, as long as you have a valid WP, visa, etc.. you are safe to come back.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Good response @rexxall,

Thanks for sharing this +1 - I think a lot of people needed this since there is a lot of hype these days.

planazur

Aug 19, 2012
rexxall said:
Just got back a week ago from my 2months vacation... I work for Mcdonald's; the main protagonist on the moratorium on TFWP and ESDC review on the program. At the immigration booth I turned over my work permit and passport to the CBSA officer, passport got stamped, signed and was let in without a single question asked.

stories of TFW's being sent back home at the port of entry are just being overblown, as long as you have a valid WP, visa, etc.. you are safe to come back.

Thats right as long as you have valid work permit and you are working with same employer there is no problem before any body want to leave Canada

just apply for reentry Visa and you can apply for single or multiple entries its valid for one year you can also call immigration for questions...

Problem of A to A is only for new workers first entry to Canada so any one who has Visa and its first entry its much better to not cone now

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
planazur said:
Thats right as long as you have valid work permit and you are working with same employer there is no problem before any body want to leave Canada

just apply for reentry Visa and you can apply for single or multiple entries its valid for one year you can also call immigration for questions...

Problem of A to A is only for new workers first entry to Canada so any one who has Visa and its first entry its much better to not cone now
Although generally this is all true, i would like to know the basis of some statements here.

Multiple entry visa is a subjective case, many people get it with their first time work permit application and it could even be valid for as long as one's work permit. So "valid for one year" is not any standard.

"First entry" - what makes you say that? CIC specifically indicated (in the clarification FAQ's) that people with already approved work permits should have no issues. Besides there can be people with open work permits (obviously not tied to any employer who are about to land for the first time). So i would appreciate if you have any reason / source to quote that particular stance.

ErickNL

Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just came back from a week long visit back home in the Netherlands. Landed in Calgary, went through the resident customs line (waaaay shorter lines!) and the very pleasant border security agent looked at my papers, asked what I bought for the declared $300 in gifts and that was that. Went from the plane to my car in 20 minutes. It was so smooth it felt unreal haha.

Currently on a TFW in the service industry (food counter attendant).

*edit* Being from Europe I don't need any visitor visa's though, so I didn't have any experience with that.

rgermin

Feb 21, 2014
Any new tfw who experience re-entry this june and july 2014? Any ideas or can you share your experience as im going on my vacation outside canada this July 27, work permit and Multiple entry visa expiring April 2015. Coming back Aug 24 for my 4 weeks annual leave with pay. I'm worried as some is saying that they were held by the immigration and sent back home. Although the reason is not very clear. The excitement of going home makes this news a dillemma. :( any one who can help me?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I think it is all crap. Unless you have some problem with your documents / work permit or visa, you are good to go.

I went for a week to home country and came back with spouse and 3 kids. My wife had a pre approved open work permit, elder son had an open study permit and younger children had trvs valid till my work permit expiry. To be clear it was the first entry for my family and the second one for me. To add to that we carried the max possible luggage allowed to 5 people (10 units).

It was very smooth and although took some time due to number of people in my family, all extra docs that i brought along just in case (recent pay stub, letter from employer from a recent date confirming i am still being employed etc.) turned out to be not needed at all.

The experience was smooth and clean. This was at Montreal on July 6th. If it helps to know, i work in Software (NOC 2174)

Ri121212

Jun 13, 2015
extreme9ph said:
May 14, 2014

Ri121212

Jun 13, 2015
HI, Im a foreign worker going on vacation on September 8th 2015 & for one month .My work permit until April 14 /2016 and Visa will expire on March 24th 2016.so is it aloud to take vacation on this time

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Ri121212 said:
HI, Im a foreign worker going on vacation on September 8th 2015 & for one month .My work permit until April 14 /2016 and Visa will expire on March 24th 2016.so is it aloud to take vacation on this time

Sure, yes.